• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you consider an A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2?

A

Anonymous

First time I bothered to look at this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hand warmers were not in the original contract specs as ordered by the government. DONE, it has nothing to do with being REAL. One could have a REAL A-2 style jacket, but it would not be to original military specifications at the time the jacket was approved for use. sh*t sh*t sh*t got sucked into this mess.

HackerF15E

Stony said:
Are we still beating this dead horse after three years? :roll:

If you'll go back a couple of pages, you'll see that I started this up again last year in order to add a postscript to the discussion -- to correct some mis-statements that had been made earlier in the thread. It was only to ensure that future readers of the thread would have some correct information about the current USAF issue jackets.

chitchat said:
First time I bothered to look at this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hand warmers were not in the original contract specs as ordered by the government. DONE, it has nothing to do with being REAL. One could have a REAL A-2 style jacket, but it would not be to original military specifications at the time the jacket was approved for use. sh*t sh*t sh*t got sucked into this mess.

YGBSM.

I love it -- only the "original" contract, and anything else is just an "A-2 style" jacket. Great logic there.

:lol:

A

Anonymous

HackerF15E said:
Stony said:
Are we still beating this dead horse after three years? :roll:

If you'll go back a couple of pages, you'll see that I started this up again last year in order to add a postscript to the discussion -- to correct some mis-statements that had been made earlier in the thread. It was only to ensure that future readers of the thread would have some correct information about the current USAF issue jackets.

chitchat said:

YGBSM.

I love it -- only the "original" contract, and anything else is just an "A-2 style" jacket. Great logic there.

Read carefully, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING REAL GEEEEEEZ GET OVER IT.

A

Anonymous

HackerF15E said:
269sqnhudson said:
Do you often take photos of your medals? :p

It was a staged photo for the purposes of that particular post.

So, no.

It's pretty standard fare to take photos of toys surrounded by militaria to make interesting composition. Let's see...they do that on the watch forums, the gun forums, etc...all for the same effect.

If I really wanted to stroke myself and show off (which is what I assume you are implying by posting that), there are a lot better ways I could do it.
Please do not post any pictures of your junk. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

unclegrumpy

chitchat said:
Hacker15E....

Please do not post any pictures of your junk. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I like Hacker15E's pictures, and hope he keeps posting them....every last one of them. We are all exceptionally lucky to have Hacker15E and the others who are currently serving participating on this Forum. The insight they offer is something I always look forward to reading.

Let us also not forget that these guys are putting it on the line for us everyday. Without their continued sacrifice and efforts, we might not have the luxury of being able to freely voice our opinions on venues like this forum.

Hacker15E......thank you for spending some of your precious off time with us, and keeping us all safe and free. I really appreciate it!

jnlight75

I'm pretty sure chitchat wasn't referring to the medals - rather a lack of interest in seeing any photos of f15hacker's "junk". That would be material for a completely different forum.

Vcruiser

unclegrumpy said:
chitchat said:
Hacker15E....

I like Hacker15E's pictures, and hope he keeps posting them....every last one of them. We are all exceptionally lucky to have Hacker15E and the others who are currently serving participating on this Forum. The insight they offer is something I always look forward to reading.

Let us also not forget that these guys are putting it on the line for us everyday. Without their continued sacrifice and efforts, we might not have the luxury of being able to freely voice our opinions on venues like this forum.

Hacker15E......thank you for spending some of your precious off time with us, and keeping us all safe and free. I really appreciate it!

I think that chitchat was jokingly talking about a different kind of 'junk' than what you are thinking of. :mrgreen:

HackerF15E

Vcruiser said:
I think that chitchat was jokingly talking about a different kind of 'junk' than what you are thinking of. :mrgreen:

Yup, pretty funny. I have thick skin and can recognize a joke. :)

A

Anonymous

jnlight75 said:
I'm pretty sure chitchat wasn't referring to the medals - rather a lack of interest in seeing any photos of f15hacker's "junk". That would be material for a completely different forum.
Yea, like Brett Favre's forum "hey babe here's a picture of my junk what ya think?

unclegrumpy

I can now see where Chitchat was going. His barb would have been clearer had he thinned down the quote he was using to the last sentence....some of us are older and slower on the up take than you may realize.

However, I still stand by my previous comments. In my opinion, the overall tone of this thread was getting disrespectful....and I am not referring here to Chitchat's joke. It may only be subtly so, but none the less I think it was.

I appreciate what Hacker15E has shared with us, and am very proud of his accomplishments....being able to see his Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross was a real treat for me....thank you!

A

Anonymous

No worries, I didn't know what the term junk meant until I heard it on ESPN, talking about Brett Favre. As far as disrespect, you may want to reread, and reexamine what warrants disrespect and by whom. This thread is over for me, should have noticed the viral nature before posting, and ignored it. My bad.

unclegrumpy

Rereading this old thread is what got under my craw. However, I agree it is time to move on. Thankfully I learned something....a new four letter word I often use that means something else. Now I know why my wife has been giggling when I tell her I am going down in the basement to play with my junk! :eek:

A

Anonymous

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HackerF15E

Quite honestly, guys, I didn't feel disrespected, and I would hope that nobody took any of my comments in the discussion as disrespectful. If they did, my apologies.

Nor did I intend to show off in any way by posting that photo. I am usually very protective of my military experiences and recognition based on some things I did much earlier in my career here on the internet. The point of posting the 'flair' was to enhance my point that current gear is serving just as meritoriously in real combat operations as the historical gear was...to show that in concrete terms, rather than the abstract ones that some folks don't seem to get. It wasn't about me in any way. Plus, it just made the photo look cooler. If I had to do it again, I'd ditch the medals.

I will admit that I get a little fired up over some of the weird views folks here have about real pieces of aviation history that have witnessed real sacrifice and valor in aerial combat. I don't take the disagreement personally; obviously we have our differences of opinion, and that is perfectly all right. I actually value the differences in viewpoint, and the differences are what make the discussion on a site like this interesting. I wouldn't change a thing...so long as the discourse remains mutually respectful and, as often as possible, fun and funny.

Either way, I'll continue to advocate that the current issue flight jackets (yes...with handwarmer pockets) deserve to hold equal legitimacy to historically-issued flight jackets.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HackerF15E said:
I will admit that I get a little fired up over some of the weird views folks here have about real pieces of aviation history that have witnessed real sacrifice and valor in aerial combat.

If you are referring to the modern 'A-2', it isn't about that. I mean the Air Force can call it an A-2, and send it to the moon on official business, but if it's got hand warmer pockets ...

269sqnhudson

HackerF15E said:
269sqnhudson said:
Do you often take photos of your medals? :p

It was a staged photo for the purposes of that particular post.

So, no.

It's pretty standard fare to take photos of toys surrounded by militaria to make interesting composition. Let's see...they do that on the watch forums, the gun forums, etc...all for the same effect.

If I really wanted to stroke myself and show off (which is what I assume you are implying by posting that), there are a lot better ways I could do it.

I think the little giggling face is a 'razz' or so it says when you hover a mouse over it. I was only kidding. It seems there have been a few curiously angry posts since I last checked. I went to a wedding on Saturday where the groom, a British soldier and Iraq/Afghanistan veteran, had all his kit on, gongs 'n' all. I think over here it's assumed that any display of one's shiny parts must be greeted by audible accusations of showing off! My Uncle also had his Royal Marines tie clip on and my Dad (his brother) was extremely quick to jump on that, cue much laughter and manhood jokes, hee hee

It's a very English thing

HackerF15E

deeb7 said:
HackerF15E said:
I will admit that I get a little fired up over some of the weird views folks here have about real pieces of aviation history that have witnessed real sacrifice and valor in aerial combat.

If you are referring to the modern 'A-2', it isn't about that. I mean the Air Force can call it an A-2, and send it to the moon on official business, but if it's got hand warmer pockets ...

Well played!

HackerF15E

269sqnhudson said:
I think over here it's assumed that any display of one's shiny parts must be greeted by audible accusations of showing off! My Uncle also had his Royal Marines tie clip on and my Dad (his brother) was extremely quick to jump on that, cue much laughter and manhood jokes, hee hee

It's a very English thing

Fair enough.

Having lived in the UK, I'm acutely aware of the numerous differences in cultural humor, so yours is a fair point and one that I frankly wasn't aware of. The differences in American and British culture and language are great sources of endless fun, and I'll admit that I've been the butt of a joke or two more than once when I was stationed in the UK because of these differences (like the difference in meaning of the term 'fanny' between our two languages...or 'fag'....etc.)

It may serve you well to know that this is one of the jokes we evidently do not share. Poking the same fun at a US veteran, if you are not wearing the same chest full of medals when you do it, may end up with you receiving quite a different response. Such response will likely be more negative in nature, and depending on what kind of decorated veteran you're talking to, might also include a more physical reaction. :)

Rule, Britannia.