• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

difference between B10 and A9 ?????

dujardin

helloooo

after reading the post initiate by Chitchat, i visit the store of this seller.
and discover something i never heard about it

on this jacket

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/40011909701 ... 1436.l2649

this is what is said in the description
-------------
The Type A-9 flying jacket was the pre-production of the USAAF B-10 jacket, which was issued to very limit units in early 1940s', the main difference of the 2 jackets is the A9 jacket was made out of the dark olive color ply combed cotton twill while the B-10 was in olive drab stain dreill.
------------

can someone give infos on this jacket ?????????
is this jacket A9 really existing ????? :oops: ?????

thanksssssss
marcel

Roughwear

Marcel, I am sceptical about this claim. I would like to see evidence for it and the listing does not inspire confidence. The B-10 was issued with A-9 trousers.

A

Anonymous

There is a picture and explanation of the A-9 jacket on page 36 of the American Flight Jackets book by Maguire, and Conway. I am off to work, If you don't have the book I can shoot the page and post it up.

Peter Graham

I'd be very sceptical too. Maguire's book contains several inaccuracies regarding cloth jackets so I wouldn't put much faith in it. The jacket pictured on page 36 shows what looks like a standard B-10 in a dark shade. In fact it looks to be a later variant of B-10 as it's got epaulettes. The jacket named as a B-10 on the opposite page is the same shade. These kind of myths start very easily. Maybe someone replaced the missing label of a B-10 with an artfully 'worn' label from the A-9 flight pants and hey presto, an A-9 jacket. Maguire & Conway accept this without question, the maker of the jacket in Marcel's link get delivered a load of cloth in the wrong shade for B-10's, check the book and decide to make an A-9 repro. Of course if someone posts a picture of an original label saying A-9 flight jacket I'll eat large amounts of humble pie but I'm not holding my breath.

MikeyB-17

No mention of an A-9 in Sweeting. I think this is another one made up by modern manufacturers, like the 'G-2' and the 'MA-2'.