• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Aero 42-18775-P and 42-15142-P

Persimmon

I don't get this thread at all. I can't recall a time when people came in here asking a legit question and were told to "find it yourself".
Really guys? Many people don't have the skills or base knowledge to find the answers, so they come here - the place where likely the knowledge is unsurpassed anywhere. Guy gets told to "google".
Well, shut down the forum then. It's of no use otherwise.

Butte. I guess you are having a go at me here ...

If you read my post I suggested specific jacket orientated web sites ( Eastman and Goodwear and Aero etc etc ) to see pictures of the jackets for those contracts to see the differences rather than just be told of only some slight differences that may not be easily understood.

Equally I suggested a search engine because often part of the fun and learning is finding the information. The chase is often more satisfying than the result.

Both give a greater view and hopefully a pleasing result that answers the question.

I am big enough to take such a poor comment made at me but it hardly makes for a friendly forum

ButteMT61

@Persimmon - not jabbing anyone. I'm jabbing the tone of this thread. If I were talking to one person, I'd tag them. I still hold my opinion that this thread is not very VLJ like.
There are a number of people lately on the forums I spend time on who are not "techie" and need extra help. Some are new to the subject matter and literally know nothing.
This is the place, as the name says, to talk about VLJ! Let's keep it that way is all I'm saying.

Have a good one - I hope you take this as intended.

dmar836

I reread the first few posts. Really nothing offensive from anyone (even if the question was not thoroughly answered - initially) until one member took a shot to turn the exchange into character assassination - nothing about the original question. That took it off topic in a very troll way. If we look back at the recent negativity it is almost all due to members derailing a thread(as I am doing here) by calling out another's post and then all feel they must take a side. Classic internet crap. If we just let a comment go as individual opinion and focus on the topic then...
There are few negative threads here on VLJ and those that get controversial are welcome as spirited debate. Making it personal is what ruins these forum for everyone.
Dave

Silver Surfer

going back to "whats the dif?", even within the same aero contract, or for that matter, many others, there are different knits, zippers, sizing oddities, and pocket configurations. with wwll a-2s there are no set, etched in stone rules. one could justifiably ask a repro maker, gw, aero, dd, bk, etc to make either one of those aero contracts, with brown knits, or reddish knits, or square pockets, or rounded pockets, or a talon zipper, or a kwik, or a crown, or, or, or, and still be within the bounds of an original. my say so is not conjecture, but by handling many, many original a-2s.

stanier

Hopefully Ken will come in with details on his interpretations of the contracts. I’d be keen to know for one.

Garylafortuna

Most of us including a neophyte like me would be hard pressed to tell the difference between these two contracts, even if we had examples of the genuine article before our very eyes. For folks like Ken and Roughwear it is an entirely different story, almost like the difference between an occasional weekend warrior and a Major League player. It is conceivable that the perceived difficulty lies not in the fact that these people do not want to be helpful, but because their knowledge base is so much more vast than ours, and that perhaps they occasionally lose track of the fact that everybody doesn't know as much as they do. Nothing to do with snobbery or an unwillingness to help. For the few short years that I have been a member of this forum, it has been my experience that almost without exception, the long standing members who know practically everything this hobby is about,
are more than happy to share their savvy with we the less knowing.
Recently I acquired from a follow member a repro 42-15142P by Aero Scotland in very dark seal with rust colored knits, and I'm here to tell you it is turning out to be my most favored A-2. Up until now I have always been partial to Russet shades.
Earloffunk you would be more than happy with either of these contracts. Go for it man, these are highly eminent pieces of jacket.
PS....... There is a lot more heat emanating from other parts of this forum at the moment.

Pilot

0FF955D5-DCCF-4CD7-92EB-5BDE5113CBE0.jpeg
D2F2F9BA-FE56-4A18-97B2-562FCEED17A3.jpeg
Hi, just been browsing Aero‘s website - I maybe I should not have as it is always tempting to get another jacket...

But for you I have a question that I could not answer by myself by looking at the pictures.

What is the difference between these two Aero contracts?

I have this one in dark seal HH.
Wanted this jacket since there is a WW2 original next to my home in Seoul/South Korea...Photos from the original which is in the Seoul War Museum, below.

Last edited:

Pilot

Nice, thanks for the pictures!
My pleasure! The original WW2 looks to be a size 36” or 38” at best...My guess through the glass.
Note the size tag and label configuration...compare repro and original.

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

View attachment 2795 View attachment 2794

I have this one in dark seal HH.
Wanted this jacket since there is a WW2 original next to my home in Seoul/South Korea...Photos from the original which is in the Seoul War Museum, below.

Great photos from the War Museum in Seoul Pilot. Thank you. That dark seal 42-15142P is a very sweet looking piece of horse hide, and a dead ringer to the one hanging in my closet. Same size too. Wouldn't surprise me if they both came from the same horse.

Pilot

Thx.
Got this A-2 approx. 6 months ago. Very nice to wear. Very soft, light and comfy HH.
It gets patina, just when you look at it.

Last edited: