• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Aero 42-18775-P and 42-15142-P

Earloffunk

Hi, just been browsing Aero‘s website - I maybe I should not have as it is always tempting to get another jacket...

But for you I have a question that I could not answer by myself by looking at the pictures.

What is the difference between these two Aero contracts?

Roughwear

Have you messaged Aero or sent Ken a PM here? I am sure they could answer you question. If you want to compare originals from these two 1942 contracts, then you might want to consult Gary Eastman's Type A-2 Flight Jacket Manual.

Persimmon

If the OP did not want to spend the money for the book they can easily look on online.
There is a wealth of knowledge to answer that specific question just using Google. ( other search engines available !! )

However if one looks at the current manufacturers ( not just one site ) - Eastman Aero Goodwear Kelso etc etc they discuss their jackets based on each original contract in detail and the differences are fairly obvious and with pictures and not just a description perhaps easier to understand.

Earloffunk

Well, I got the info I needed.

But some remarks make me wonder what this forum is for if not for enthusiasts that want to gather knowledge from other enthusiasts. So I agree with Ole. But maybe my question was too profane.

Ole

Banned
sorry but sometimes it seems this forum is for old and grumpy enthusiasts who enjoy making fun of newbies' ignorance

and if you found the answer, why don't you share it here for the rest of us ignorant to see? (and learn)

are you a Navy Seal?

Earloffunk

Sort of... :) ... not

But you wish shall be my command: the earlier jacket, 42-15142-P seemed to be virtually all fitted with rust knits, the 42-18775-P often show up with a mid brown knit. this is the info I got from Ken. So it’s good enough for me.

Last edited:

Roughwear

Excellent! I am glad Ken was able to help. Gary's book will show you that the differences between jackets from the two contracts is minimal. The vast majority of 42-15142 jackets had berry knits and the rest Chelsea brown. Crown, Talon and sometimes Kwik zips were used. Many Aeros from 18775 had more rounded pocket bottoms, rather than the squarer ones seen on the previous contracts. A few examples were made in the paler, russet shade. I would still strongly recommend Gary's book. It is an invaluable work of reference.

dmar836

Whether someone shares everything they know or not might depend on the goals of the one asking. As you see, two different answers and the less detailed answer was acceptable.
It's for another thread but what's with this recent keyboard warrior animosity on here.
Dave

B-Man2

I've always found the people on this forum to be extremely helpful I've learned a great deal about VLJ 's over the years. From my own experience, I find that the information I retain the longest are details that I've researched on my own . I have a tendency to loose most of what is vouluntarily provided by others but my learning curve goes up dramatically when I have to scramble around and find the facts on my own .

ButteMT61

I don't get this thread at all. I can't recall a time when people came in here asking a legit question and were told to "find it yourself".
Really guys? Many people don't have the skills or base knowledge to find the answers, so they come here - the place where likely the knowledge is unsurpassed anywhere. Guy gets told to "google".
Well, shut down the forum then. It's of no use otherwise.

blackrat2

Sadly there does seem to be some general negativity at the moment on the site in general
It is a great source of info and folk are friendly and helpful,I have recently emailed Ken and John to get the more definitive answer on things
I agree the Eastman book is good, as certainly I can spot the odd difference from maker to maker but when it comes to the subtle differences between one manufacturers contract and another I have a way to go
Remember perhaps that when we post comments, they might in the writers head appear helpful etc but be misinterpreted by others
Perhaps in general we should all think what we post or reply to a post before we go off to handle

Earloffunk

Guys, calm down. Everything is ok, it’s just a hobby/passion. Yes, maybe I should have had a look at some other manufacturer‘s site - to be honest as just did not think of that. Sorry. But as for using google: that I did after the tip to do it but that was not really helpful. Anyway, I now have the information I was looking for. Thanks again to Ken. But I am certainly not going to spent 70£ on Gary’s book even though it might be a hidden treasure.

Cheers Christoph

stanier

The original question here is to me perfectly reasonable with not a sniff of profiteering or taking the mick, and what the forum is for surely.

I’m minded of my parents forever drilling into me, amongst various other choice ditties, “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”.

Kindness costs nothing and there’s an enormous pool of interesting and obscure knowledge here. I’m sure most comments that come across poorly aren’t meant that way, but it might be worth reading twice before posting! We were all new here once.

blackrat2

Stanier your right!
I would add also maybe take a minute before you reply...all to easy to say something in the heat of a conversation and post it then realise it was err perhaps a tad shitty shitty...well that’s what I learnt after doing it at work!!