• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Leathertogs Buco J-24 repro

siddhartha

Administrator
Hi Gents,

I recently purchased a Diamond Leathertogs Buco repro, Dave's latest J-24 model.

Last time Dave had listed one on eBay, it went quick, and I thought that it was quite a nice jacket indeed. I asked that Dave notify me should he have another, and he did just that. I was lucky enough to make the purchase, and waited less than 2 weeks for delivery.

This isn't a formal review per se, more like my overal impression. I am happy to answer specific questions. My feeling has always been that with repro jackets, it's the overall "feel" of a jacket that matters the most-I am not a stitch-for-stitch obsessive collector (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not me), and if the jacket has the heart and soul of the original it's fine with me.

Overall first impressions:
1. The leather is incredible. It's not as thick as the front quarter horsehide that Aero typically uses, or Lost Worlds, but it is pretty thick. You notice more that it's not as heavy overall as an Aero King of the Road (KOTR) for example, but that is not a bad thing by any means-in fact, I have found that I prefer it. The leather smells fantastic, it is supple, and has already started to gain creases and graining, especially around the arms. Grain/creasing like this took ages on my Aero KOTR, and it is still far from being totally broken-in.
2. The fit is superb. Dave told me that if nothing else, this jacket would serve as a test of the sizing. Now, I am a true size 44 mostly, however my frame is such that I have big shoulders, and am not that tall (5'9", and about 185lbs). We decided that we'd go with a size 46, and I am glad I did. My intention was to have a slightly looser fit with nothing but a shirt underneath, and a non-constrictive fit with a sweatshirt or light sweater underneath. It fits exactly as I'd wanted.
3. Details: the jacket closely matches pics I've seen online of Buco J-24 jackets, with a couple of exceptions. First off, the lining on my jacket is nylon, non-quilted/padded. Most of the Buco jackets I've seen have a quilted lining, with minimal padding, and often a leather patch (kidney-protector) on the inside by the waist. Mine is much more simple. The other major difference I've noted is the size/shape of the "Zippo pocket" on the front-on mine it's a bit longer than the majority of those I've seen in pics of vintage Buco jackets. However, it should be noted that these pockets were billed as "Zippo/cigarette" pockets-as such, you would think that the jacket should in fact be a bit longer to accomodate.
DSC03674.jpg

The DLT Buco
DSC03622.jpg

Aero KOTR

Also, it should be noted that the tape for the zippers on my Buco is brown, in contrast the the majority of vintage Bucos that are seen with black tape. However, should you look closely, you will in fact see some with brown tape-and with age/dirt, it gets darker. For me, the brown tape is kind of cool, and is another contrast to the Aero KOTR.
DSC03653.jpg

DLT Buco pocket/zipper detail
DSC03655.jpg

DLT Buco sleeve zipper detail
DSC03668.jpg

DLT Buco back detail
DSC03638.jpg

Aero KOTR back detail (note the "western" yoke on the back, and the snap position-you can also see the imprint of the included belt)
DSC03664.jpg

Inside back of DLT Buco
DSC03632.jpg

Inside back of Aero KOTR
DSC03660.jpg

DLT Buco label
DSC03624.jpg

Aero KOTR label/neck detail

As far as fit, the DLT Buco fits me like I think it should. One concession to modern body types, and non-motorcycle riders (like me-my wife would disown me) is that the length is a bit longer than the pattern Buco. The Aero KOTR (which to be fair, does not follow any one specific jacket model-it does not claim to be a close repro of a Buco J-24, for example) fits me a bit strangely-it fits the shoulders fine, but the waist is tight, almost like a sz 46 jacket going into a sz 32 waist (pants measurement). Also, it is shorter than the DLT, so this combination means that it has a very exaggerated "V" shape. I remember when I ordered the Aero, that we discussed sizing, and it was determined a sz 46 would probably work well for me (I had been considering a sz 44, but was told these run a bit snug). In retrospect, I perhaps should have addressed this immediately, but was unsure how this jacket would wear in, and the difference between true sizing, and a heavy HH jacket molding to me. In any case, I can wear the Aero comfortably, but it feels like I have less room, and am more conscious of wearing it. In contrast, the DLT Buco is already really comfortable, and I've worn it straight since receiving it.

As I mentioned, there is more to a jacket than straight stitch-for-stitch reproduction, IMHO. I think that with time/wear, this Buco could easily pass for an original. It is already wearing in well, and is already molding to me. The few details that some might not jive with can (IMHO) easily be fixed in the future, or at the customer's request. For me, the only thing I'd consider is shortening the "Zippo pocket," but again, that's not something that bothers me. I think the overal heart/soul of the Buco is there in spades, and that's really all I can ask for!

(forgive the horrible pics-I have ALWAYS had trouble taking good jacket pics, although my watch pics seem to be OK, really!)

Proof:
PO.jpg

Falcon_52

Both jackets look very nice but I think I'll give the edge to Diamond. I really like way the back seams are constructed on the J-24.

Thanks for posting the photo review. Enjoy breaking in the new jacket!

Noel

siddhartha

Administrator
Would love the Norton, but my wife would kill me...

We have an agreement-I can have one when I'm 70. I keep negotiating the terms...

Members online

Latest posts