• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Cap Tapped for 'Red Tails' Film...

DiamondDave

Gents,

A little announcement, if you don't mind?

Several months ago I was approached by the Costume Designer for the film Red Tails, which is being produced by George Lucas, no less!! The film will follow several members of the Tuskegee Airmen through some of their exploits in WWII. Apparently this has been a LONG TIME project dream for Lucas.

So, I can now announce that I have been selected to do the "Hero" caps for the film. These will include 15 "Flighter" clones, as seen in many original pics of the Tuskegee Airmen, while stationed in Italy during the end of the war.

On a side note, I did HIGHLY RECOMMEND several of our fellow VLJ members for inclusion of their respective products in the film.... (I will allow them to ID themselves, but I feel sure that it is obvious to some of you), and funny enough, my suggestions were heeded in every case!!

I am currently in production on the caps for the film and shooting of 'principal photography' is slated to begin in several locations in Europe at the end of February. Hopefully we will be seeing the finished film some time in late 2009 but it may well be pushed til 2010.

Just thought that I would share this big news, for any that might care.

Thanks for reading,

DD

Dave,

Great news and glad that your caps will be seen on film! The general public probably will not realize how accurate they are, but buffs like us will and it's great that Lucas' production company recognized your work.

Kudos!

Dan

Tim P

fantastic.
If i were a betting man I'd have a tenner on you will have earmarked our man who can for the jackets.

Cobblers161

That really is excellent news. Congratulations Dave.

I reckon there will have to be a premier exclusively for VLJ members! :D

Andrew

Certainly can't beat that kind of experience to put on your CV- what an honour, and fantastic that they will have extremely authentic looking gear for the film. How many films have we all seen with kit that just didn't quite look right.

It's great you guys can manage to mix business with your hobbies.

better duck

Hey Dave, this is really an admirable accomplishment, that will probably do your business a lot of good too! Before you know it, You'll be a manager running a workshop, full of beautiful seemstresses!

A

Anonymous

Hi Dave congrats on your good news ,you must feel so proud .Also you are so kind for reccomending the services of others on the forum who also could help with the prodution props .Only yesterday Roberto sent me a pm of a patch he had worked on for a customer ,I am sure he would not mind me cutting and pasting the finished patch and of course it is a redtails patch .I think he did a fine job what you guys think !

rob75IT said:
Hi Jeff
Here we go
99th FS red-orange

99thFSRED.jpg

I was helping him last week find a good 99th patch picture to make the patch for someone .I think his patches are worthy of being called historically correct AAF patches,and his work has soul and is in the spirit of that army air corp folk art of that period .I personally do not like the mass produced modern AAF military patches for the A-2 .May be the film company might want to use his services .

All the Best Jeff

A

Anonymous

Re: I POSTED THIS ON THE RELATED GEAR FORUM

Hi Dave keep us posted on this exiting news .
All the best Jeff .

airfrogusmc

Thats great news. CONGRATS and well deserved...
That means two of our members are making items for the film...

A

Anonymous

No airfrogusmc I think there is a number three .

All the best Jeff

DiamondDave

Thanks again to all of you 'well wishers', both, foreign and domestic!!

Yes there are a total of 3 people/companies that I know are represented here and have gotten 'the nod' from the production company.

I was told, by the designer, to tell everyone...."... if you spot anything too glaringly wrong in the movie, please know that it was not for lack of trying!"

She reports that, while now 3mos into this project, that she has been sleeping very little and doesn't plan to for the full 6 mos that it will take altogether. Though a lot of the props would normally be done by the prop dept, for this film, she of course is taking on the production or procurement of a lot of this stuff too, as they play such a large part in the film.... i.e Oxy masks, parachutes, helmets, kit bags and goggles, just to name a few. Not to mention that they are making A-4 flight suits and a ton of the uniforms for the guys to wear. Should be a really cool film... I also understand that almost all of the better known repro companies will be represented in the usage of their products, for the background players. We 3 that you all know, will be doing primarily the "HERO" or main character stuff, as NONE of us has the production capacity to fulfill the films full need.

Thanks again to all,

DD

Andrew

Fantastic stuff- are you doing T shirts as well? With your gear featuring so prominently do you think there'll be any chance to get on set for a snoop around? (If so we want pictures :cool:).

I imagine Garcia Av will be supplying helmets, goggles, suits, gloves etc. Please keep us informed...