• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delamination spots on my BR L2A nylon jacket

warguy

When photographing my collection recently, I noticed some spots on the back of my Buzz Rickson L2A jacket. My first thought was of course that something was on the surface. I live in the forest and we get a lot of pine sap and figured I must has had some sap get on the jacket. I took it inside and carefully wiped it down in the area effected with no changes. I then inspected it more closely and found that these milky white spots are actually under the surface of the nylon. These best I can come up with is the material looks to have delaminated, where the top layer seems to have separated from a layer below.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their nylon jackets? I am bummed of course, but fortunately you have to look close to see it. It looks worse in some lighting conditions than others.
E4914D2F-1349-4ABE-B0D5-C675F10E6E24.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Hi Warguy,

I am not an expert on Nylon fabrication, I don't think that it can delaminate as it's weaved not laminated per say.

From that image you posted, it looks like a stain from a liquid that affected the propertie of the nylon. For example, acetic acid (vinegar) will start to dissolve nylon, in you case discoloration?

Dany

Harris_HTM

Is it possible that it came in contact with hand sanitiser? Because of the COVID this fluid is ubiquitous here nowadays and I know many a good fellow destroying their leather jackets and/or shoes. I'm extremely cautious when using it.

warguy

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I haven’t actually worn this jacket since the whole Shane sanitizer thing came about. In hand, it just doesn’t look like a stain on the surface, more of an air bubble underneath if that makes sense. I will however be careful around the products you both just mentioned. I might try to take better photos this week when the sun comes out.

Dany McDonald

It definitely sounds like it got in contact with a product, altering the surface in a way... You could add color in layers to hide the alteration.

D

warguy

Thanks again for the help guys, the info on the material being a knit sure helps. I took a very bright light and inspected this closer under magnification. I am back to my original theory.....pine sap. We have the stuff everywhere here and sitting in a chair outdoors with some on the back seems most plausible. I think it is really set in if that makes sense, almost like splashing some clear acrylic on the material. You can’t feel anything on top of the fabric at all, and no luck at wiping it away. I can’t imagine what might take it off without harming the material so I will likely leave it alone.

I think the info about hand sanitizer and other products staining the nylon might have been the best info to come out of this post. Thanks again.

warguy

Never stored wet. We have lots of outdoor venues around town and I even have seating in my own backyard. I think sap on the back of a chair probably.