• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

David D Doniger/McGregor Sportswear A-2, AN-J-3, M-422a

JDAM

Dr. H, John Chapman, Roughwear and others have in the past posted a number of interesting jackets from David D Doniger/McGregor Sportswear.

These include civilian, capeskin versions of A-2 and AN-J-3 jackets. They also produced a M422/422a.

But as far as I'm aware, they were only awarded a couple of small US Government contracts for goatskin A-2 i.e. 21539, 29971...

I can understand why they might have produced civilian versions of the A-2 but what do you suppose inspired them to make these civilian models of An-J-3 and/or M-422? Is there any indication they bid on US Government WW2 contracts for AN-J-3 and/or M-422 but were not awarded them? Clearly they took the time design patterns and produce jackets. Begs the question why?

Of all wartime manufacturers, I've always considered Doniger to be the finest cut and the most carefully constructed. Perhaps that was reflected in their price, and they lost tenders and contracts to less costly competitors?

IMG_8779.jpg

Roughwear

Good point Simon. I suspect profit inspired them to make AN-J-3 and other civi jackets! ;) BTW Doniger only had one A2 contract of 5,000 A2s. Their no-name W535ac29971 contract was the same as the as the 42-21539-P order and they date to 9th June 1942.

JDAM

I wonder. You think there would have been a huge demand for the likes of civilian AN-J-3 or M-422a during wartime?

Otherwise, do you think the top image from Full Gear A-2 and the bottom image of the Chapman tagged A-2 are the same jacket production run? I guess the Chapman tagged A-2 would have originally had a McGregor Sportswear label?

Roughwear

They could well be the same jackets. I did not say a "huge" demand for civi jackets. There must have been some demand for them, but as we don't know the production figures we will never know the extent of this.

Dr H

Ah, loved wearing both those jackets.
Had the A-2 been a touch more robust (that was a thin cape or cabretta) or the AN-3-J just a tad wider in the chest I'd have kept them both.
Great quality jackets both.

Dr H

It is a beauty - it might fit it a little more easily now too!
Shame about the knits, but one of them had already been replaced.
It's short in the sleeve though - worked a treat for me, but then I have shorter arms.

...and deep pockets, before anybody gets the crack in first... ;)

Dr H

JDAM said:
I wonder. You think there would have been a huge demand for the likes of civilian AN-J-3 or M-422a during wartime?

Otherwise, do you think the top image from Full Gear A-2 and the bottom image of the Chapman tagged A-2 are the same jacket production run? I guess the Chapman tagged A-2 would have originally had a McGregor Sportswear label?

I don't believe that my old McGregor A-2 and the image from Full Gear are from the same production run as the hides are quite different - the hide in Full Gear actually resembles my AN-J-3 in terms of heft, grain and colour (a much thicker hide).

Dr H

I like that one a great deal!
Any more styles lurking out there?!

Is there any suggestion that the knits have been replaced?
Both of my jackets (A-2 and AN-J-3) had two-coloured knits (red/brown; blue/brown).

Dr H

Ah, that's better - identical to the AN-J-3 with the addition of the 'mouton' collar.

And sold...thanks for the opportunity JDAM.

It'll be nice to have a more generously well-fitting McGregor/Doniger.

:D

Dr H

JDAM said:
I guess the Chapman tagged A-2 would have originally had a McGregor Sportswear label?

Yes Simon, the jacket had lost its label a way back and John C (original owner) replaced it with a Bronco tag simply to 'finish' it off. I sourced a Doniger tag from John and stitched this one in.

Under the tag, the dimensions of the paler lining/minute stitch holes matched the label of the later McGregor AN-J-3/M-422A.

The hide was very unusual though - unlike either of the naval jackets, much thinner than cape or goatskin. Very comfortable, but much more vulnerable to damage.

Dr H

Got this one in the post today, with thanks to Simon.

It's a lovely fit - properly comfortable (shoulders/length/torso) and sleeves are perfect too.

I'll attend to some of the nics/lifts in the leather with leather glue, but otherwise it has a lovely patina and will be a great casual jacket with a pair of jeans.