• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Czech Wing Commander's Irvin

Roughwear

This is a recent addition to my collection of Irvins. The jacket belonged to the Czech fighter pilot Alois Hochmal (1914-2010) who rose through the ranks to Wing Commander in 1944. He commanded 313 squadron composed of Czech pilots and there is a picture of him wearing the very same Irvin in 1941 via the first link below. It is extremely rare to find an Irvin today which was worn by a Czech pilot in the war. BTW he eventually settled in the UK and passed away last year. The jacket has been in storage since the war.

http://horice.safarikovi.org/hochmal.html
http://horice.safarikovi.org/hochmal.html
http://www.cieldegloire.com/002t_hochmal.php

The jacket was made by Links and has the typical slightly rounded collar, medium-sized collar rings and exposed metal under-arm vent rings-characteristics of this high volume maker. Many of Links' Irvins are inferior in terms of build quality, but this one is an exception. All the stitching is straight and intact. The jacket dates to 1940 and was issued to him new shortly after he arrived in England. Apart from the belt buckle which is from another Links jacket everything is original, with no repairs or re-stitching. There is very little wear to the fleece.

002-33.jpg

003-33.jpg

017-30.jpg

016-40.jpg

019-26.jpg

015-42.jpg

004-35.jpg

009-41.jpg

007-39.jpg

010-41.jpg

011-41.jpg

014-41.jpg

021-20.jpg

022-23.jpg

better duck

Andrew,
What a gem! great find! How did you get it: through E-bay, or did you by any chance know the family?

jonnyboy

That's a beauty - congratulations! Fits you well too. Nice to have a jacket with such provenance.

Cheers,

Jon

Andrew

Beautiful jacket Andrew and great that you have the provenance- that's what really makes something special for me and especially if you are allowed a window into the owners life and history. That's a serious privilege.

Have to say that as much as I like friendly moggies my initial reaction to your kitty images is a little unsettling. I imagine it was just a brief cuddle and i'm probably alone but personally I don't think it's appropriate on a number of levels.

Roughwear

Andrew said:
Beautiful jacket Andrew and great that you have the provenance- that's what really makes something special for me and especially if you are allowed a window into the owners life and history. That's a serious privilege.

Have to say that as much as I like friendly moggies my initial reaction to your kitty images is a little unsettling. I imagine it was just a brief cuddle and i'm probably alone but personally I don't think it's appropriate on a number of levels.

This is the first time it has happened and my son took the photos when I was out! Obviously the jacket will not be left around for any repeat performances.

Ian C

Lovely jacket,

One of the thing that bugs me is that I'd probably never get an Irvin in my size. What would you say is the best repro, Ive got A2s by ELC but there seems to be a bit of a debate on their sheepskin jackets.

Ta,
Ian

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Ian C said:
One of the thing that bugs me is that I'd probably never get an Irvin in my size. What would you say is the best repro, Ive got A2s by ELC but there seems to be a bit of a debate on their sheepskin jackets.

Andrew, along with most of the forum, rates ELC Irvins as the best.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3453

bazelot

Thta's a great jacket with lots of history. I am always amazed at how well Irvins withstand the test of time in comparison to their US Navy counterparts...

unclegrumpy

bazelot said:
I am always amazed at how well Irvins withstand the test of time in comparison to their US Navy counterparts...

I read somewhere that once the war got going, the bean counters determined the life expectancy of most equipment, including fleece leather jackets was rather short. To speed up and increase the production of hides, the war production board approved using faster processing methods. Some of those included using stronger chemical soaks to get the remaining flesh off. That resulted in thinner hides, and also left tell tail amounts of the acids, lye and other chemicals....which over time kept affecting the integrity of the leather. Some types of jackets, USAAF D-1's for example, seem to be particularly effected by this self destruction.

Roughwear

Many Irvins from the 1930s were veg tanned and either hand dyed or more normally spray finished. As the War progressed the faster chrome tanning process was generally used with a polyacrilate spray finish. Most late War Irvins were made from recycled flying trousers as sheepskin was in short supply.