• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-106 Goretex Flight Jacket?????

FtrPlt

I've seen a few jackets up on eBay that are being listed as CWU-106/P flight jackets. Real issue item or fancy designation and hopes of being adopted by the military?

Interesting that the manufacturer (Propper) dances around a bit with their wording --• Made of a breathable GORE-TEX® membrane between a flame-resistant Nomex® fabric and a Nomex® knit backer
• Made in USA
• Fabric is waterproof and breathable
• NIR compliant
• Type I designed for airmen and aircrews who operate rotary and fixed wing non-eject aircraft
• Removable hood
• Zippered exterior chest pocket
• Two hook and loop chest patches
• Internal chest pocket with hook and loop closure
• Two hand-warmer pockets
• Water-resistant zipper front with cloth pull
• Reinforced elbows
• Combination covered pen pocket/zippered pocket on the left sleeve
• Adjustable hook and loop closure at sleeve cuffs
• Approved Safe-To-Fly by the U.S. Air Force

PROPPER_CWU_106P_Men__s_MCPS_Type_I_Coat_(V.2)_SLarge1_185.jpg

PROPPER_CWU_106P_Men__s_MCPS_Type_I_Coat_%28V.2%29_Tan_416.jpg

Rutger

Yes, if I remember correctly there's a version for ejection seat and for non-ejection seat pilots.
I've seen images or text detailing the difference, but I don't remember where. Something with an oxygen hose connection?
I guess the USAF safe-to-fly remark is likely to be the closest endorsement by the USAF without allowing Propper to claim they are the/a supplier for the USAF.
The prices are coming down on ebay, they started out a couple of years ago at like $700.
The jacket is one part of a whole clothing system.
This thread provides info on actual use, somewhere on the 2nd page.

I won't buy one, too ugly.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8967

FtrPlt

There's no military spec tag in them. The GSA has a listing which alludes to it being available to government agencies but that could mean FBI, DHS, etc.

A Google search shows NSN's assigned to the garment and its various sizes but, again, no specific reference to the military.
http://www.nsnlocator.com/nsnlocator/fsc-8415/1147.html

Is this possibly some type of approved/acceptable local-purchase item such as OregonAero Zetaliners for flying helmets?

Looks-wise? I don't think it looks all that bad. Not much fun from a patch-wearing/morale perspective. If you start adding velcro, you pretty much introduce leaks -- defeating the goretex. No more shoulder rank, apparently.

FtrPlt

Outershell, Jacket, Men's, Waterproof, Breathable doesn't exactly sound unique to aviation. I'm assuming this would be worn over a normal nomex flight suit and jacket -- i.e. a very expensive raincoat??

$(KGrHqN,!n8F!Je93FQfBQTRbvI2Vw~~60_57.JPG

Peter Graham

I'm sure it's a fantastic jacket but I can't warm to it. Just looks totally bland to me, especially the tan one.

FtrPlt

I guess I just have questions as to whether these are actually military-issue flying apparel; prototype flying apparel; tolerated non-military items, etc?

Pretty much every piece of modern military flight gear I've seen has always, without fail, had a military label with designation, NSN, SPO codes, etc. The CWU-106 designation is touted but I'm curious why it's not on the actual garment?

The thread referenced a few posts up is now 2 years old. If this was an issue item, I would have expected to see them in photos and at least a few offered for sale somewhere. The latest/greatest always gets a lot of buzz yet there's nothing online -- no reviews, no photos, etc.

Maybe I'll be less skeptical if I see a few photos of military aircrew actually wearing these.

FtrPlt

The links are for small-unit purchases -- to me indicating these are a tolerated, non-issue item -- adding up to about 300 sets of goretex spread across 3-4 units. The first link looks like an info-type notice of an item still in the acquisition process (last line).

These seem to fall into the same category as Zetaliners for flight helmets -- authorized for use but not an item within the military supply system.

I don't doubt that somewhere, someone is wearing these. I just see no evidence that these are a contracted, stocked, supply item like a CWU-27 flight suit, CWU-36 flight jacket, or ABU/ACU.

Whether or not these ultimately receive the CWU-106 thru 109 designations and become a contracted, stocked, item of issue? Unknown.

MikeyB-17

I don't think they look that bad, and let's not forget this is a military item, designed with practicality in mind and with little or no consideration given to what it looks like. I love the idea of a flight jacket that is properly waterproof-the only problem is that being designed for use with trousers, the jacket will be relatively short, and in heavy rain, with the jacket alone you're going to get, as we say down our way, 'A wet ass and no fish'.

Rutger

Well, I agree the official use (and the name CWU-106?) is questionable alright; I've never seen them on regular USAF pics, which are CWU-36/45 all the time.
I can understand the survival qualities of the MCPS jacket, I'm surprised that multi purpose/ multi functional hasn't been more an official goal as far as pilot's clothing is concerned. Let's face it, the CWU-36/45 are fire resistant (don't need that in my car) and avoid creating static electricity (great advantage in the car), but they suck as far as water resistance is concerned.
Must be a private project of Propper trying to create the next generation of this type of jacket. Looks like they're good at it.
Btw, just read the jet type version has a flap on the chest for a pressure suit tube.

FtrPlt

Probably splitting hairs but I don't consider these to be military items. At least not yet. In my mind, a military item is something that is standard equipment, spec'd out and contracted through SPO or whatever they're calling themselves these days, and issued to joe/jane aircrew as part of their bag-o-stuff. I just don't see that with these jackets/pants. While probably a meaningful item to have, from what I see these are a purely civilian item being purchased at unit level and being used/subject to the whims of local commanders.

While likely developed with the military in mind, there is nothing indicating this is a military-contracted, supply-chain item. The fact that small units are sending out RFQ's to purchase very small quantities clearly shows these as being procured outside the military supply chain.

If a CWU-106 existed as a bonafide item of issue, it would bear the same spec tag as all other pieces of flight gear. To be honest, I'd expect to see something along the lines of the following on the label:
Shell, Flyers, MCPS
Type CWU-106/P
Size: Medium (40-42)
MIL-J-12345
SPOX-12-abcde
Propper International, Inc.

Instead, all I've seen thus far is
Outershell, Jacket, Men's, Waterproof, Breathable and what I presume to be a company item number. To me, all this says is, "I'm hoping to someday get a government contract and become an item of issue. In the meantime, I'll flog the CWU-106 name around and maybe it will stick"

The most interesting tidbit, thus far, is that some of the RFQ's quote a per-unit cost of $115 per jacket. For that price, I'd probably buy one. Military or not, it probably makes an outstanding waterproof flight jacket.

FtrPlt

You can also go here:
http://www.nsnlocator.com/nsnlocator/fsc-8415/1147.html

There are scores of items in either database that never became military issue items.

At best, these are potential USN items, not USAF, since all reference NAWC PD 4631-04-11. I don't know a whole lot about naval supply codes, etc.

Visiting this link, if you look at the very last line it shows program status as being in the Navy Abbreviated Acquisition Program. Which, to me, means this is a pending military item.

"USAF Safe-to-Fly" is likely meant to cover USN personnel assigned to USAF bases.

Unless the procurement system has drastically changed (possible, I suppose), I'm pretty sure USN item still have a very similar spec tag to the other branches -- eg if this were an issue item, it would have a military spec tag in it. Case in point: a 3-second google search yields the label on the latest USN digi-camo cap:
NWU+Hat+label.JPG

FtrPlt

Question: In looking through the NSN numbers in the various links, has there been a format change with regards to the old MIL-X-12345 vs whatever the PD numbers are that I'm seeing?

For example:
http://www.parttarget.com/Naval-Air-Systems-Command_nsn-parts_3527AS101-5_3832AS170-6.html
for info under NSN 8415015652028, it lists the following
NAWC PD 4631-04-11, CWU-106/P

NAWC is Naval Air Warfare Center.
PD 4631-04-11 is on the Gortex Jacket. The same number shows on the Propper site as an item number.

Is this a new variation to the old DSA, DLA, SPO codes? Speculation on my part but trying to figure out if 04-11 is April 2011, November 2004, or completely unrelated to a date?

Still unable to reconcile the omission of CWU-106 part but I'm trying to give this a fair shot.

ADDED: Did some digging on the goretex trousers and they come up with a different PD number. Since 2014 obviously isn't here yet and there is no 14th month, it pretty much puts my theory of 'PD replaced SPO' out the window. At the least, the numbers aren't readily correlated to month/year.
8415-01-565-2167 TROUSERS,COLD WEATHER NAWC PD 4631-04-14

FtrPlt

Still more questions than answers. After re-reading the pre-solicitation bid, it's clear the patterns for the jackets and trousers were intended for designation CWU-106 thru CWU-109.
The PATTERN DATES for the jackets and trousers are as follows:
Items 1 & 2: Men's (106/P), and Women's (107/P) Jackets: 7 June 2007
Items 3 & 4: Men's (108/P), and Women's (109/P) Trousers: 8 March 2007

Also in the same document, you see the terms Product Demostrator and Product Demostrator Model. I'm curious if the "PD 4631-04-11" code seen on the jackets means these are pre-production/test/evaluation models?

Again I go back to the absence of these on large-scale issue combined with a glut of them for sale online. With no US budget for several years, are these on hold due to funding? Problem or change to the pattern?