• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current USN G1 supplier

Marv

Can anybody tell me who is the current supplier to the US Navy for the G1 flight jacket, from which I can find seems to point to Cockpit USA.

Skyhawk

I'm not sure if cockpit ever was a government contractor. Last I heard they were just a repro maker. I got a cockpit G-1 once a few years back. It was not a milspec jacket and the leather was not even close to an original. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but it was super soft, thin goat that seemed not too durable. Reminded me of a mall type jacket. The real mouton collar was very nice. Good color and very soft. The sizes were not military fit when I got mine, they ran big. I ended up selling mine. I am more into wearing the real ones.

The new Aviators are showing up at the squadrons with jackets made by Excelled. The tags say "EXCELLED Sheepskin & Leather Coat Co. DSCP- Defense Supply Center Philadelphia." I have an Excelled jacket that was issued to me in 2002. I have heard that The Cockpit was supposed to be the new supplier. I have not seen any in the Fleet yet, but that may because the Excelled jackets are still in the supply system.

lightning38

I had an Excelled unissued G-1 over a year ago and it was a beautiful jacket and I got lots of compliments on it but dye would rub off really easy.