• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current G1 question

PeterB

Hi

After a very long time i managed to get a Pharr G1 in my size (40) . Nice jacket . I have several of the Excelled ones which i think are very nice. I believe they got the contract in 1999 and are still current issue, How long were the Pharrs issued for any idea? As i said a nice jacket but the Excelled leather is thicker and i think more robust. Saying that the Pharr is supper supple.

Cheers

Peter

Marv

i think Pharr supplied the US Navy from 2004 until 2013, not sure who the current contractor is now but there were some rumours that it may be Cockpit

PeterB

As far as i know Excelled have both current G1 USN and A2 USAF contracts. Cockpit lost the A2 contract a while back. Must admit the issue Cockpit A2 was poor leather compared to their civilian version.

Marv

Excelled had the USN contract from 1999 - 2004 to which is was then won by Pharr from 2004 - 2013 so maybe Excelled re-won the contract after that.

US Wings provides the G1 contract for USCG

PeterB

I have Excelled from 2008 and also with the new Defense logistics agency label so it gets very confusing. The USCG G1s seem a bit strange. The Coasties get their G1s through the normal chain of supply. If they are short they will buy a batch from US wings. So their advert re supplying them i will take with a pinch of salt. None of their jackets have any of the military markings of DLA labels just the US Wings commercial labels. US Wings claim a lot so be careful what you believe. Still interesting stuff. Thanks for your reply

Marv

i agree peter, totally confusing as there are probably plenty of Excelled and Pharr G1s still the USN quartermaster stores still waiting to be issued.

i have a Pharr G1 myself to which i modified the zipper removing the huge YKK puller & slidder and replacing it with the paperclip type whick looks way better in my opinion.

its a size 48 reg which fits like a 46 in the body but the sleeves are a tad too long and made from cowhide.