• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusher caps repops where to get

Pilot

Mine ( I have anotherone) are wool but elastic...
No stiffener inthere...
Was never one .

Steve27752

I note that's Pilot's cap is wool/felt topped as many indeed were whereas most repros tend to be gabardine, again as many were and easier I suspect to remove the spring that turned it into a crusher, I believe? I've also always thought that was only allowed after 50 missions but suspect that's not true as I'm sure many of the flight jockeys we've seen in pics may have never completed that many!
And a true ' Crusher' has a leather peak that is very flexible and can be folded in half.

Garylafortuna

Diamond Dave at one time made some of the finest repro crusher caps in the business. If you are seeing this Dave, please chime in with crusher cap information. My Flighter made by Society Brand has a single ply visor, but I don't think they all did.

dmar836

Okay. The first “true” crushers were not Bancrofts, Flighters, or otherwise. They were the standard officer PP caps that were crushed for function to facilitate the use of headsets. The two-ply, flexible visors were easiest but it was a matter of function over form. I have one that was theater-made in London but was a simple tailor-made officer cap that was crushed by an XO for use. The shallow caps with short, flexible brims were a response to this. They were purchased by clerks, other desk jockeys, and anyone authorized to were an officer’s cap. As I’ve said multiple times, true crushers, and those that are the rarest, are those of ‘42-ish that we’re beat into shape to be used on missions. The soft manufactured crushers are cool and iconic but must have provenance IMO to be “true” crushers.
Rant over.... again,
Dave

Steve27752

Something slightly different.
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG

Pilot

Confirmed, the peak „folds in four“ if needed..
and unfolds again into its original shape.
Why buying a cheap fake??
Happy to offer one of my ww2 originals for the same price as the fakes here listed...mine are ww2 originals......
Shipping goes extra...
Euro using countries...free shipping.
Europe but non Euro using countries add 46 Euro.
ASIA, USA, ANZ, CIS, Golf, add. 92 Euro.
All via www.chronoposte.fr..highly priced but safe and reliable...no more other...
Shipping only prime registered fully tracable from the first to the last minute...
Inssured 300 Euro.
Happy to list or answer if interested

Steve27752

Why buying a cheap fake??
Happy to offer one of my ww2 originals for the same price as the fakes here listed...mine are ww2 originals......
Shipping goes extra...
Euro using countries...free shipping.
Europe but non Euro using countries add 46 Euro.
ASIA, USA, ANZ, CIS, Golf, add. 92 Euro.
All via www.chronoposte.fr..highly priced but safe and reliable...no more other...
Shipping only prime registered fully tracable from the first to the last minute...
Inssured 300 Euro.
Happy to list or answer if interested
Personal choice.

Pilot

Capt. L. I . Davis....
Have a lot of his legacy, his watches, tunic, bags, briefcases etc...
Will list a few items here and there as soon as I have time...

Carl

Any Officers service dress visor termed "crusher" without that single ply visor is probably an ordinary visor with the crown stiffner removed

Members online

Latest posts