• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Vietnam Wild Weasel MA-1/L-2B- USAF Museum

bw-8

I was surfing in the USAF Museum's Uniform Gallery and found this cool FJ:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=8962

I'm not sure if it's an MA-1 or an L-2B. Kind of hard to tell the difference without seeing it in person.

Has anyone seen this jacket in person? Does anyone know what the patch on the sleeve is or what is on the front? Anyone have photos?

I'm looking for an interesting project for a nice old green-lined Albert Turner MA-1 I scored on Flea-bay. This would be a great project! Is there anywhere reproducing patches like those in the picture? :ugeek:

watchmanjimg

Difficult to say, but I'm guessing L-2B based on the droopy shoulders. The interlining of the MA-1 gives it a bit more shape when unworn. Just an opinion . . .

tamoko

I don't think this is green-lined L-2B/MA-1. Jacket is from 1967.
From how jacket relax this is probably L-2B.

watchmanjimg

Capt. Sparks was in Vietnam in 1967, but that doesn't mean this jacket was. I suspect it's of later vintage, or at least was worn well after 1967 due to the LTC rank. Also, the rank is blue embroidered on what appears to be OG-507 fabric which is post-Vietnam vintage.

bw-8

watchmanjimg said:
Capt. Sparks was in Vietnam in 1967, but that doesn't mean this jacket was. I suspect it's of later vintage, or at least was worn well after 1967 due to the LTC rank. Also, the rank is blue embroidered on what appears to be OG-507 fabric which is post-Vietnam vintage.

That's a bit more info than what I was looking for watchmanjimg :ugeek: but thanks anyway!

Wait until you see what I'm gonna do with that beautiful old Eastman HH A-2 I got from you! ;)

watchmanjimg

bw-8 said:
watchmanjimg said:

That's a bit more info than what I was looking for watchmanjimg :ugeek: but thanks anyway!

Wait until you see what I'm gonna do with that beautiful old Eastman HH A-2 I got from you! ;)

Sorry, I was actually responding to Tamoko's post. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you do with my old Eastman! :D

bw-8

watchmanjimg said:
bw-8 said:
watchmanjimg said:

Sorry, I was actually responding to Tamoko's post. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you do with my old Eastman! :D

Just funnin' ya watchman :mrgreen: !

But seriously, anyone know what that patch on the sleeve is or where I might find a wild Weasel Patch like that one on the back?

Weasel_Loader

The shoulder patch is a USAF Fighter Weapons School patch. It's earned by graduates of the school at Nellis AFB, NV. The Weasel patch on the back of the jacket is a unofficial large version used by units in SEA. Original Weasel patches such as those go for very large sums on the ebay market. You can find some decent repros on ebay. If your patching an original jacket, I'd use only original patches though. Just my opinion. ;)

tamoko

Agree Nellis AFB graduates Fighter Weapons School .
And this example of WILD WEASEL patches.
Hi.Res.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070620-F-1234P-004.jpg

070620-F-1234P-004.jpg