• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conmar Zipper Question

Jaydee

I recently posted My Fav G-1 in the gallery, I have a question about the zipper. Do you think the zip is blackish from some kind of coating or is it just tarnished brass? The Lost Worlds Repro has a similar colored Zipper on their Jacket.
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/G-1FlightJacket.htm

If it's tarnished, do you think I should clean it, or does it look better with the aged look? Opinions? I know there is some level of tarnish from the green color.

Conmar-1.jpg

G-1front04.jpg

Jason

its definitely a coating to blacken them - for what purpose I don't know exactly. Anti-reflective is speculation as the zip is quite well hidden from view by the zip seams etc. Anti-corrosive measure might be a better reason?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
If it's tarnished, do you think I should clean it, or does it look better with the aged look? Opinions? I know there is some level of tarnish from the green color.

I would remove any green (verdigris?) with an old toothbrush, but not polish.

And the blackening stays, it's correct.

Jaydee

Jason said:
its definitely a coating to blacken them - for what purpose I don't know exactly. Anti-reflective is speculation as the zip is quite well hidden from view by the zip seams etc. Anti-corrosive measure might be a better reason?

You know, they put a black high temp paint coating on the CWU jacket zippers. Could be the same deal, although I believe that started years later.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
You know, they put a black high temp paint coating on the CWU jacket zippers. Could be the same deal, although I believe that started years later.

Maybe, I assumed it was a chemical process.

MikeyB-17

According to John Chapman's CD, the 7823C series were the first G-1's to have bare brass zips without the blackening. Not sure if they all did, but these were the first where it began to appear.