• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compliments on Your Jacket

Smithy

I've a couple of Fonzy remarks when wearing my A2s, nothing from my G1s, B-10 or nylon jackets.

The only positive comment was on my Wested Indy Hero jacket asking if it was old as it looked really cool but that's about it.

As I mentioned above I've had a few positive comments but interestingly the jacket which has received the most is my Wested Raiders too. Seems that with the great unwashed masses they appreciate what we'd think of as "lesser" jackets more. I can bowl out in my Barnstormer which I always think is the most beautiful jacket, the leather, the cut, the style and no one will bat an eye but if I wear that Wested I inevitably get the "cool jacket" or here, "fin jakke". Although saying that, the fairer sex do go a bit gooey over the old Irvin.

Smithy

Might be they thinking of Raiders of the Lost Arc...

I don't think so Blackrat. Nobody has ever mentioned Indiana Jones and when I did tell one that it was from the Raiders film after they'd asked about it, they said something along the lines of, "I never would've guessed." TBH I don't think that 99.9999% of the population could tell the difference between an Indy jacket and any other waist length zippered, brown leather jacket - most people don't know or probably even care. It just seems to get a lot of likes from everyday people on the street. It never fails to amuse me because virtually without fail every second time I wear the thing somebody will say a nice comment about it. It's not my favourite jacket but I've become quite fond of it as it's comfortable, practical and has actually developed a very nice patina.

B-Man2

I've become quite fond of it as it's comfortable, practical and has actually developed a very nice patina.
I think this is the attention getting factor. The older and more beat up the jacket looks, the more people are impressed by its' looks. I've worn new looking jackets that people never take notice of, and I've worn old beaters that look like I played football on concrete in them. Every time it's the beater that gets the compliment.

Smithy

I think this is the attention getting factor. The older and more beat up the jacket looks, the more people are impressed by its' looks. I've worn new looking jackets that people never take notice of, and I've worn old beaters that look like I played football on concrete in them. Every time it's the beater that gets the compliment.

I think you've got a point there Burt. But there's another thing too, a lot of people on the street don't know the history or connotations of what we're wearing. I'll give an example, I got very interested in the history of the Sabre wings in the Korean War back in 2013 and went on a spending spree and splashed out on a few B-15Cs. Now I thought I felt like James Horowitz striding out to the flightline at Kimpo in 1952 wearing them but sadly everyone else saw my B-15Cs and automatically thought I looked like a shopping mall guard, private security bod or a cop.

The fact of the matter is that most of the general public just don't associate jackets with the same things that we do and know they represent. Here in Norway, or back in Oz or NZ for that matter, virtually no one would know that an A-2 was a flight jacket. It's probably a bit different if you're wearing a sheepskin flying jacket like an Irvin as the connection between that type of jacket and flying is more universally known. But the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the public don't share the same emotional link (for want of a better phrase) with the history that these jackets represent to us. To most people an A-2 is just a brown leather jacket the same as any other brown leather jacket.

DJS48

I think you, (Smithy) summed it it quite nicely. This is similar to a wife comment that the jackets are all the same or "what's different about this one"?

Regards,
Don

Garylafortuna

Right on B-Man2 and Smithy. Most folks do not know the difference between a real flight jacket and a fancy mall jacket that has pockets everywhere. But every now and then somebody will make a remark that really warms the heart. Last fall I wore my patched up RoughWear out to get some groceries and a guy tapped me on the shoulder and said something like; I really like your AVG tribute jacket. I'm here to tell you that that one little comment made my day. With some people it is cars or motorcycles or boats or collecting
stamps. With us it is flight jackets. This is cosa nostra (our thing). But a little flattery goes a long way don't you think?