• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comments from others on your jackets

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
historybuff_chgo said:
rotenhahn said:
I got a NOS Perry in the box for $80 from a guy whose father died in Korea.

Wow. You mean the original box it was issued in?

Special Pedro trick question ...

As far as I know it was the box it was issued in- a plain cardboard box. The jacket was unused- a 42 but with very short sleeves so it didn't fit me. I hung it in my closet with bricks in the sleeves but nothing worked to lengthen them- I traded it a year or two later for a nice B-15A. Back in the day I had an Aero, a Bronco, the Perry a couple of Spiewaks, a Cable (or 27753), and a few others I can't identify now. Most of them I got for less than $100- only that Bronco was "expensive" at $250. I had an ad in the SF Chronicle offering to "buy WW2 flying jackets". I got a B-3 also. The whole hobby was different- militaria dealers were weirdos in the shadows- they published little mimeographed letters (lists of offerings from around the country) which you bought for $10 from the back of aviation magazines. The only repro was Avirex- pah!

Curahee

Overhere in the Netherlands nobody ever made any remark/compliment and or jokes about my jackets. Only some
weird looks seeing an AN-J-4 for the first time. Sometimes you hope to get a nice compliment when you wear your new
A-2 etc but people don't notice it. That does say something about the timeless beauty of the 65 + old desing garments

Jason

rotenhahn said:
As far as I know it was the box it was issued in- a plain cardboard box. The jacket was unused- a 42 but with very short sleeves so it didn't fit me.

My larger Perry, size 44, has very short sleeves for the size - 22 inches from shoulder seam to the start of the cuff, and if the sleeves were ever shortened, they were done so very well a long time ago, before the jacket was ever worn.

Your observations give me confidence that there was a particular cut of Perry that had shorter sleeves in comparison to the body size anyway... thus making it a suitable pattern for ahh, how do I put this delicately? Those who've loved and lived the good life...

taikonaut

Curahee said:
Overhere in the Netherlands nobody ever made any remark/compliment and or jokes about my jackets. Only some
weird looks seeing an AN-J-4 for the first time. Sometimes you hope to get a nice compliment when you wear your new
A-2 etc but people don't notice it. That does say something about the timeless beauty of the 65 + old desing garments

While on holiday in Amsterdam I did saw a tramp who was high on Popeye shake muttering to himself, he was wearing a battered A2.

A

Anonymous

taikonaut said:
Curahee said:

While on holiday in Amsterdam I did saw a tramp who was high on Popeye shake muttering to himself, he was wearing a battered A2.

When was that? It very well could have been me!

A

Anonymous

Jason said:
rotenhahn said:
As far as I know it was the box it was issued in- a plain cardboard box. The jacket was unused- a 42 but with very short sleeves so it didn't fit me.

My larger Perry, size 44, has very short sleeves for the size - 22 inches from shoulder seam to the start of the cuff, and if the sleeves were ever shortened, they were done so very well a long time ago, before the jacket was ever worn.

Your observations give me confidence that there was a particular cut of Perry that had shorter sleeves in comparison to the body size anyway... thus making it a suitable pattern for ahh, how do I put this delicately? Those who've loved and lived the good life...

Yeah- I didn't understand this jacket- I was very frustrated by it- it was so perfect and new- fit me so well but the sleeves were well up past my wrists. I remember later getting some comfort from that silly Hell Bent for leather because the "experts" in that book discuss the shortness of sleeve of the A-2..."made that way to accommodate gloves" and "shrunk because of storage in dry conditions" were two of the opinions offered by these clowns as I remember...

T-Bolt

I have received numerous comments (curious--positive) about some of my A-2 jackets. Most of the comments have been when I was wearing my one of my ELC RW 27752 which has a 44th Bomb Group "Flying Eight Balls" patch on the left front. It is a colorful patch and stimulates questions about "what does that indicate" or "is that a real bomber jacket"?

I also have an ELC Aero 18775-P that has a AAF wings decal on the left shoulder and the brick red knits with a really nice russet brown horsehide. I have had comments and questions about that jacket.....all positive so far. :cool: ;)

Ted

Roughwear

I have had various comments about my jackets-wife: "Not another jacket! They all look the same." Youngest son: "I'm glad that one's going- it smells old." Today when I was having my eyes tested the optician remarked, "That's a nice jacket, much better than the modern ones and better made." (United Sheeplined A2) She asked where she could get one for her husband. :)

Hawkeye

Last week I went to work in my Irvin and a customer said that I had a "bitchin jacket, and it's got a belt! I don't even wear a belt on my pants man!" I was chuckling for a bit after that one. At same workplace sometime last year I was wearing my saddlery A-2, and someone said it was a great jacket, and asked if it had been my grandfathers.

taikonaut

I wore my Perry the other day while getting some petrol at the garage. No comment specifically but while queueing at the till a group of school boys behind me suddenly stop chatting and stared. Also young women seems to become more approachable and smiles more :) Maybe just my imagination :roll:

I believe it is more psychological reaction from people who dont know what you are wearing, the age, condition and look of a vintage can instantly make people think of you differently, maybe a more rugged person than a clean cut.
I had my Aero with gnarly grain when a hiker ask me to lend him 20p for the phone, I said I have no change to spare, he replied with a knowing look and a smile "you are lieing". At a Chinese supermarket the lady who often exchange pleasantry with me at the till stop doing it.

shanghai joe

i guess you get comments from passers by if you wear them.

if you collect as opposed to wearing them then the ooooohs and aaaaahs will come from your local crew when they're invited over.......

back to the $3000dollah question.......dare you wear that in the public and risk the jkt....

taikonaut

shanghai joe said:
oooooooops sorry talking about orginals..............$3000dollah repro anyone?

Nobody cares or even look at repros :lol:

Dont talk to me about colonial currency, over here it is "pound sterling" £££££ :p

shanghai joe

taikonaut said:
shanghai joe said:

Dont talk to me about colonial currency, over here it is "pound sterling" £££££ :p

££££££..........that's colonial currency, from where I came from, we were once colonies of Great Britain ;)

taikonaut

shanghai joe said:
taikonaut said:
shanghai joe said:

££££££..........that's colonial currency, from where I came from, we were once colonies of Great Britain ;)

Malay currency in Ringgit. I thought you were born in the UK?

Peter Graham

taikonaut said:
I wore my Perry the other day while getting some petrol at the garage. No comment specifically but while queueing at the till a group of school boys behind me suddenly stop chatting and stared.
:lol: