• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collar Question

2jakes

Recently bought an A-2 style leather jacket that looks & fits perfect. The only thing is ,
that on the left side of the collar in the back by the neck area , there is a curving up of the leather. There are no wrinkles or creases at all. The leather curls up about 1/4" up &
is about 6" across. Is there a method to bring it down that is safe.
Any suggestions ? Thanks.

unclegrumpy

The age, the type of leather, and the make of the jacket are all factors that need to be considered...so tell us more about exactly what you have. You might want to add a photo of the problem area as well.

That said, generally, you can dampen, and press and stretch the leather back to where you want it. Sometimes the dampening can be done with water, and sometimes with leather care products....to say more, we need to know more.

Also, sometimes leather just does what it does, and no matter what you do it will go where it wants to.

CBI

get it wet with warm water and re-shape. You can also use clips if needed to keep a certain shape you may want, put cloth between the jacket and clips so there is no indentation left.

works 100% of the time

unclegrumpy

CBI said:
get it wet with warm water and re-shape. works 100% of the time
I agree if the leather is still has life in it, but if it is old, water can sometimes cause a lot of problems.

2jakes

The A-2 Jacket label is Ralph Lauren. I know…I know…but let me say this before I get
some "boos" .
The tan leather is very soft grain quality that I have been wanting for years,
There are no side entry pockets. There are no lines in the back …no 2 pieces sewn
together, just one beautiful whole leather. The flaps on the front pockets are not just
straight but have a very graceful curve to them. The fit is military meaning it's not
baggy at all & I can raise my arms up & the jacket will not bulge up. I don't know what
type of leather it is , but it comes closes to a jacket that Mr. Chapman sent me to
try on. I have tried many times to post pictures with no success. I have subscribed to
photo bucket ,Flickr & I can follow instructions up to where I can upload my pics.
But when it comes to right or left click on the image & copy the address or paste this
& img code…I'm lost !
I will be scheduling some time at the store where I got this computer & they will help
so I can post my photos.

Most important of all…Thank You all for the good advise on the collar.

2jakes

Update: Using warm water , 2 pieces of wood , one on each side of the collar where the
fold is & a c-clamp …I managed to remove the curve out with no stain or marks what so ever .
Thanks !

ButteMT61

The Lauren are surprisingly nice jackets. Glad it worked - you don't have to own an original WWII A-2 to ask a question.
I wonder where they get those hides - some are really nice.

unclegrumpy

Am glad you were successful too!

Newer leather is pretty forgiving, I was just worried you might be working with something old, and that can be a different story.

PS: If you have your photo uploaded and have an address for it....which it sounds like you do, then you are just about there. When you do your post, go to the top bar where you see the "Img" box. Click on that, and then put your photo's address in between the brackets. That should solve it.