• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Col. Hogan's A-2

Atticus

I know that we beat this subject to death on one of the old forums, but what kind of A-2 did Hogan wear? Didn't we hear that he wore an original in part of the series and a prop in another part? Back when that program first aired, I didn't notice flight jackets as much as I do now. The other day I stumbled onto the series and took a good look at Hogan's jacket for the first time. The show was in color, so it must have been from later in the series, but his A-2 was seal, had the USAAF roundrel on the shoulder and had a too-wide, brownish name strip on the left chest.

And his jacket was too damn small. He was walking around, looking cool with his hands in his pants pockets, with his A-2 zipped to mid-chest. It looked like the zipper would have popped if he had taken a deep breath. There were stretch lines radiating away from the slider in all directions and the two halves of the jacket above the zipper gaped open a foot.

I guess that even after long months of stalag chow, his A-2 still had the "military fit" that we all crave.

AF

A

Anonymous

I have the complete first season of "Hogan's Heroes". In the first black and white pilot there are many original A-2s worn by lots of characters- after that from the second episode on only Hogan seems to wear an A-2 at least from what I've seen. In these early episodes he wears a Roughwear-looking clone made of relatively thin wrinkly leather- definitely not an original but a very nice pattern jacket IMO which looks very A-2 like. These first season episodes don't seem to have many interesting jackets- a few B-3s and a B-15 or 2 and of course Carter's D-1.

tgd31968

rotenhahn said:
I have the complete first season of "Hogan's Heroes". In the first black and white pilot there are many original A-2s worn by lots of characters- after that from the second episode on only Hogan seems to wear an A-2 at least from what I've seen. In these early episodes he wears a Roughwear-looking clone made of relatively thin wrinkly leather- definitely not an original but a very nice pattern jacket IMO which looks very A-2 like. These first season episodes don't seem to have many interesting jackets- a few B-3s and a B-15 or 2 and of course Carter's D-1.

I haven't seen an episode since my eyes were opened and I gazed on the variety that is flight jackets, but I thought Carter wore a B-6? Before my awakening, I assumed it was a b-3 since the only jackets I knew of were A-2's and b-3's.

TD

Chandler

tgd31968 said:
I haven't seen an episode since my eyes were opened and I gazed on the variety that is flight jackets, but I thought Carter wore a B-6?

Hard to say, but based on some images of Carter through web searches, it looks like the pockets on his jacket are at B-6 height, not D-1. Anyone have a good picture?

Seems like his jacket changed over the years too, from really beat up to not-so beat up. Maybe he had both styles?

Chandler