• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cloth 8th AF patch on A-2 or B-6??

I know you sort of see it all, but how about an officer's bullion 8th AF patch on a leather jacket? Yes? No? Possible but not likely?

I just picked up a beauty of a bullion 8th, but don't want to create a 'Yeah, it coulda happened, but probably not' Jacket.

Thanks,
Drew

CBI

I have seen many photos of original jackets with bullion patches. Bullion often look stellar. A little less common but done plenty to justify it!

Ken at Aero Leather

8th AF A-2 with Bullion shoulder patch..............'Yeah, it coulda happened, but probably not'
The Thrift Shop probably sold more original A-2s than any other UK dealer and had a ready supply of decorated jackets courtesy of Dave Hill
General and rarely broken rule re shoulder patches
8th AF : Printed Leather or AAF Decal
9th/12th/15thAF ; Incised Leather
CBI : Layered Leather or Hand Embroidered Bullion

Silver Surfer

a-2 rules??? sure, generally there are guide lines, but they were not always adhered to. different patch material, in different theaters is more the reality vs the rule. at a later point during wwll, it would seem that sewn on cloth meatballs, and aaf shoulder patches began to show up on 8th af a-2s, that,or sewn on post war, as i have seen several of these. on another note, vcruise, that is some bitchn tiger a-2 youre sporting in the pic.

STEVE S.

I agree with the two comments above. Most of these patches were made by local artisans, so the style/type of material used would be based on where the units were stationed & what those artists were used to producing.