• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Old Nylon

bw-8

What's a good way to clean spots onold nylon? I've got a nice old MA-1 that has slight age staining on it that did not come out with drycleaning. NYLON FOREVER! :D

Willy McCoy

I don't see your location, but in the USA there is a spray called "Resolve". Just spray on and gentley rub. It would seem dry cleaning would get most stains out.

A

Anonymous

"Spray and Wash" seems to work for me. Spray in on, let it soak, then gently scrub. Rinse with a damp sponge.

"Degreaser Concentrate" by Stanley Home Products works great for me on lots of things. Cleans other than grease, as well. Didn't work on the crap jacket Tamoko sold me, though.

dadgad

I successful cleaned a Rolen J-8279A MA-1 that was badly stained treating it before with a spray cleaner called "Oxy" by Woolmark directly on the areas with the stains, let it work for some minutes (4/5) and then machine washed in total cold water in gently cicle for cashmere wool with some drops of wool soap.

Great results absolutely zero shrinkage anywhere or color bleeding and the Rolen now shines as new.

tamoko

clown cliff, i sold the jacket honestly, you don't know anything about nylon. When I buy some vintage nylon i don't cry like a baby, this is vintage. Buy reproduction and enjoy.
You can clean any kind of stains from nylon by dry cleaning. But some UV or old oil stains destroy original nylon dye, you cannot clean this, there will be no dye anymore. UV looks bad especially on blue nylon, some oil oxidizing made light "stains" on green nylon but this is not stains this is just dye away because of chemical reaction. you cannot do anything.

bw-8

Thanks for all the tips fellas! :D

The stains are really areas that appear sort of dingy. Perhaps as Tamoko suggests, these are not stains but are instead areas where the dye is breaking down. They are not that apparent so they would be exceedingly difficult to photograph.

My goal is to patch this one but I haven't yet decided what. I'm really a fan of the F-104. Any cool ideas?

NYLON RULES! :cool:

tamoko

this cool one

83.jpg

83rd FIS F-104A 56-0791 in 1958
060928-F-1234S-007.jpg

or this one

319thFIS.jpg

526th FIS
526th%20FIS%20patch.jpg

F-104A
526FIS61.JPG

or old Air Defense Command
adc_1.jpg

Hi Res
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060928-F-1234S-008.jpg

tamoko

Chuck Yeager's NF-104A was decorated with "Edwards AFB" right & "Air Force Systems Command" left
Chuck worn both this patches (old large version) both hard to find.
Same patches you can see on X-15.
Plus X-15 pilots worn "USAF Aerospace Research Pilot School" patch. hard to find.

tamoko said:
clown cliff, i sold the jacket honestly, you don't know anything about nylon. When I buy some vintage nylon i don't cry like a baby....yadda yadda yadda

Sorry Gleb, I forgot us old US Air Force vets couldn't possible presume to understand a flight jacket like a Swiss wannabe, so when I post this jacket for sale here with the photos I'll include your knowing description from your auction.