• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning B-10 series garments???

zoomer

I have a pair of Type A-10 Winter Flying Trousers. Despite the name, these were intended for groundcrew - they're basically A-9s with no leg zips and patch-button pockets on the shins instead of zip-slash pockets. Same coarse alpaca-wool fiber liner, same fine OD cotton twill shell.

These are deadstock - received in a sealed paper envelope with AAF procurement info stamped on an original suspenders attached. They're in pristine condition, but I do want to be able to wear them on extremely cold days, so they really should be cleaned.

What has worked best with your alpaca lined cotton garments such as B-10s? Is dry cleaning ok? Can I get away with cold hand washing in Woolite, or will that harm the shell fabric?
3188735140_47ce3f2545.jpg

3187892495_20285f5877.jpg

3187892237_0444743b84.jpg

zoomer

They've been getting stale and funky in an envelope for six decades...so what are my options?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
...so what are my options?

Fresh air, and sunshine would be a good place to start ... I wouldn't want to be washing them if it wasn't essential.

zoomer

If I hang them outside in these parts, they're gonna be snow-covered and frozen stiff.

Something tells me I should just get a display dummy and put the A-10s on that. I ask my share of dumb questions, but I had no idea this was going to turn out to be one of them.

Doug C

I recently contemplated the same question - how does one clean vintage or used B-10s, not really a dumb question, I'm sure the others will agree. If it were me and I didn't get a more definate answer I'd probably try a soak in cool to lukewarm water with a bit of woolite or dr.bonners organic soap even, then hang dry. I thought somebody mentioned that dry cleaning was hard on the outter shells, someone feel free to correct me on that though if I'm wrong.

Doug C

Peter Graham

This is actually a good question. I would love to clean my B-10. There are a few small marks but I'm scared to try.

Hawkeye

Hey Zoomer, did you happen to get these from an ebay seller whose selling a boxload of these deadstock pants right now? Price is something like 75.00.

On the cleaning issue, for spots on my repro I just use a clean rag and hot water, with light scrubbing on the affected spot. And I also swear by febreze for getting rid of staleness/bad odors/cigarette etc.

Final question: How is the sizing on these? Does the size 38 correspond to a matching size 38 (chest size) jacket, or is it actually a size 38 waist?

FtrPlt

The sizing is literal waist size -- i.e. size 38 is a 38-inch waist. Bear in mind that this literal waist size is meant for over your normal clothes. Someone wearing a pair of size 34 trousers would likely require a size 36 or 38 pair of flying trousers.

I'm a bit confused by the statement that the A-10 Flying Trousers were intended for groundcrew?? Everything I have indicates the A-8 and A-10 (quilted-lining and alpaca-lining, respectively) were intended for wear with the B-9 and B-11 (also quilted-lined and alpaca-lined, respectively) Winter Flying Parka.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
FtrPlt said:
Everything I have indicates the A-8 and A-10 (quilted-lining and alpaca-lining, respectively) were intended for wear with the B-9 and B-11 (also quilted-lined and alpaca-lined, respectively) Winter Flying Parka.

Correct ... the contract numbers, in each case, are the same.

The D-2 jacket (for mechanics) having the B-2 trousers.