• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check this out...a Monarch M-422 (not A)

tamoko

rpmooreii said:
Strange in what way? The waistband is a single ply rib rack just like the WWII era M-422A jackets. As far4 as I know that is what was used on the M-422. Also on close examination there are NO extra stitch lines that would indicate it was ever swapped and it matches the remnants of the cut off original cuffs perfectly. I am virtually certain the waistband is original.
Typical WWII M-422->ANJ-3A waistband is 1/2 single ply rib rack modern G-1 1/3.
Illustration.
rib-rack.gif

zoomer

The extra short sleeves were meant to encourage gauntlets to be worn.
glovesUSN.jpg

But yes, the cuffs would have made such short sleeves very uncomfortable.
Such things happen when gear is designed by committee or command.

rpmooreii

John C has examined the jacket and had the following things to say:

1. The waistband is definitely original w/ 25% rib rack. It compares well w/ the photos is "Suit Up"
2. It is likley a sz 44 although it is a pretty small 44. Could be a 42
3. It is is probably the second rarest Navy jacket behind the Switlik M-422...combine that w/ all orig parts (mouton, waist, zip) and it is a cool find
4. JC seconds my opinion on the incredible goatskin. While I hav had some mint M-422As and AN-6552s in the past, the leather on tis jacket is seocnd to none

...Roger

bazelot

Is John going to put cuffs on? I think that would be the right thing to do as the jacket would be 100% complete.

rotagz

4. JC seconds my opinion on the incredible goatskin. While I hav had some mint M-422As and AN-6552s in the past, the leather on this jacket is second to none.

Seems no matter the vintage, Monarch always had the best goat.