• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charity shop MA-1!

havocpaul

Just found in a local charity shop (Scope) a great Alpha MA-1 in my size (XL), looks unworn and I think it must be one of their 'Replica' types: it has wool/cotton lining (very heavy), Scovill zippers and USAF decal. The tag in the pocket states it is a 'D' model dated 19 July 1968 but as it also states 'Made in USA' so I figure it's one of their repros. A perfect fit and feels top quality...best of all it cost £5.00!! Funnily enough, I found another Alpha MA-1 a few weeks ago in another town charity shop for £6.00 but that was one of their more recent types although made in USA not the Far East.
A few years back I got a nice 1970's G-1 in Oxfam for £10 but that elusive A-2 or Irvin hasn't been donated anywhere yet!

dujardin

wow, greatttttttttt

years ago, i use to go one time a week in such a charity shop near Namur; called if i remember well ''magasins du monde''.
several time i found some interesting items at a ridiculous price, bed-camps - english battle-dress - canteens - snowshoeing (long) - ammobelts - M43 suspenders - aso aso....
in such a shop, there are good luck affairs to do because in most of case, people bring there what they found in an attic of a deceased parents, they have nothing to do with all of that and bring everything ,don't knowing sometime what treasure they have in their hands.
when you have time, make a photo or two.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

havocpaul

Thanks for that comaprison, Alpha clearly had their archive to go on and they got the quality just right, maybe the USAF decal wasn't (always) on the originals at that date but having handled the BR '57 MA-1 I think it stands up well. And I keep thinking...a Fiver!!