• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBI Rough Wear A2

RCSignals

this little bit from the retired Marine Corps vet is taking an assumption isn't it?
The insignia on the front is for the famous 23rd Fighter Group. If your uncle flew for the CATF in 1942, he could well have been one of the original Flying Tigers. If so, this jacket could bring double the current bid, or more.

What is there about that jacket that would indicate he was an original to the AVG? If that were the case would it more likely the jacket would be an earlier A-2 or an M-422/M422a?

JDAM

RCSignals said:
What is there about that jacket that would indicate he was an original to the AVG?

There's nothing about it that links it to the AVG other than an assumption that someone in the CATF might have been AVG. The reality is that most of the AVG left when the CATF turned up. Only a minority decided to stay on under 'new management' i.e. Uncle Sam.

RCSignals

JDAM said:
Roughwear said:
$3375. :!: :eek:

If anything, I suppose that's confirmation that some collectors had serious doubts. If I was going to spend that money I'd opt for a real one like below.

DSCN6323.jpg

Nice patch on that. is the background of the shield dark brown?

TankBuster

RCSignals said:
JDAM said:
Roughwear said:
$3375. :!: :eek:

If anything, I suppose that's confirmation that some collectors had serious doubts. If I was going to spend that money I'd opt for a real one like below.

DSCN6323.jpg

Nice patch on that. is the background of the shield dark brown?

Great jacket JDAM! That's a beauty of a 23rd patch!

JDAM

TankBuster said:
Great jacket JDAM! That's a beauty of a 23rd patch!

Thank you, Jeff. It only took me ten years to find it : ). Perfect manufacturer (Aero 21996), perfect size (44), perfect patina (combat worn), perfect patch (23rd) - priceless, at least to me.