• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I shrink a nylon jacket?

Hi guys;
I tried posting this on the old forum before learning that you all had moved away and left me behind. Can I shrink a nylon jacket (Alpha repro L2B) by washing in hot water, throwing it in the dryer, etc.? Or, will I just end up ruining it? Thanks, Tom

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tom in Atlanta said:
... will I just end up ruining it? Thanks, Tom

Yep, that one.

The wool/acetate lining will shrink like crazy, and the nylon won't, so the jacket will end up way too short, ballooning out at the back.

A

Anonymous

Put one in a microwave and you'll have a G.I. Joe outfit in about one minute. Quite impressive.

A

Anonymous

I had a cheap modern made in korea Alpha L-2B that was 2xL. Too big and I did not care if it got trashed. Not a vintage jacket at all. I washed it in WARM water on gentle cycle. Then placed on a towel to dry. Dryed in a few hours then tried it on. Shrunk 1-2 inches all around, did not harm a thing. I think keeping it away from hot water is the way to go. I say go for it, you will have a jacket that fits and it should not be damaged if you hand wash in the tub.

Thought I would post a quick followup on this thread. I washed the L2b in warm water on the gentle cycle and let it dry in the sun on a very windy day. It probably shrunk about half a size - not a lot, but a definite improvement. No apparent harm to the jacket other than slight fading - just enough to give it a bit of a "been there - done that" look. Tom

tamoko

Tranquility Base said:
Put one in a microwave and you'll have a G.I. Joe outfit in about one minute. Quite impressive.

And keep all metal piece and you have G.I. Joe Burning Man :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: