• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this Meritorious Service pin? AAF connection?

stanier

Re: Can anyone ID this Meritorious Service pin? AAF connecti

Hi Dr, of course you could be right, but I'd suggest that if BWRS then these are US made pins from a US organisation where the Dieu et mon droit is possibly not shown at all. And if the medal is Swedish, why the Meritorious Service in English? And the same motto and main crown design as the known BWRS example?

The crossed fasces is a little more confusing, but is not uncommon used as a symbol of power against tyranny, not the usual fascist interpretation. Of course this same meaning I'm suggesting (used as a symbol of power against tyranny) would apply to the Swedish design too, but I'm not convinced it's what we have at the start of this thread.

http://npanth.wordpress.com/2007/05/12/fasces/

My moneys still on BWRS, sorry.

RCSignals

It appears to me to be three crowns on the shield as well. That is a mark of Sweden.

Dr H

I had a useful chat with a Swedish colleague this morning and he summarised the following, which perhaps goes some way to explaining the USAAF connection...

'Indeed, it contains elements of the Great Coat of Arms of Sweden (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveriges_riksvapen), but it's all scrambled. And I think it's out of the question that an official Swedish badge would have an inscription in English (Latin, sure, but not English). Also, there is no Swedish expression that could be easily translated into "meritorious
conduct" (in particular the "conduct" bit). I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the rather large Swedish immigrant community in the American Mid-West?'

Stanier, I'll take your money on the BWRS though... ;)

RCSignals

It's possible it is to an American Swedish cultural society, such as Tre Kronor lodge.

Maybe the mash up of elements of the 'arms' is to an all encompassing 'Scandinavian' society
The one thing about the Lion on the pin is it is holding a sword (I think it is anyway). The Swedish Royal arms Lion doesn't.

stanier

Gotta say guys, in the nicest possible way, I think the whole Swedish thing is a red herring. More than happy to be proven wrong.

I think the three Crowns (which may have stars on them as far as I can see) are awards for support given and came in 1's, 2's and threes, and the lion represents Britain on a US military shield. The use of crowns, stars and use of lion on the shield symbolises the help of the US to the British war effort. Designs varied somewhat as the BWRS was made up of various smaller organisations.

The design and motto are so BWRS that I find it hard to believe it's anything else.

stanier

BTW Stubbyeighth, any chance of a clearer pic please?

unclegrumpy

stanier said:
Gotta say guys, in the nicest possible way, I think the whole Swedish thing is a red herring. More than happy to be proven wrong.

I think the three Crowns (which may have stars on them as far as I can see) are awards for support given and came in 1's, 2's and threes, and the lion represents Britain on a US military shield. The use of crowns, stars and use of lion on the shield symbolises the help of the US to the British war effort. Designs varied somewhat as the BWRS was made up of various smaller organisations.

The design and motto are so BWRS that I find it hard to believe it's anything else.

I agree with you regarding the Swedish connection. As I mentioned before, I have seen this pin before. I don't know what it is, but I do think it is related to a WW II organization, probably having to do with war relief efforts. It could also be a coat of arms or family crest. If so, that might be the clue to exactly what it is.

It still looks British to me, but it could also be something that one of the Governments in exile gave out. I know it is not Norwegian, as I have some of the pins they had, but it could be Dutch, Danish, or ? The Dutch lion carries a sword and looks similar for example, but tends to be on a different type of shield background.

I am surprised that this little bugger has been so hard to id. I have done quite a bit of looking, and it just should not be this hard.

New photos:

This forum’s recent rules regarding editing your own posts likely serve some purpose, but what that might be I can’t possibly divine—sort of like this pin.

I thought that IDing this pin would be easy. The fact that it is not leads me to believe that the pin is probably not an award that was issued to GI’s or their units by a European government. It sure looks “martial” and official, however—but I have no idea now what it might be. Some type of fraternal pin? I followed every lead suggested in the thread and came up with nothing conclusive. As was observed, the pin seems to be a mishmash of various crests.

A couple other observations/thoughts: The pin is substantial and well-made. You can see in the photos how the stick-pin itself is expertly soldered or brazed, and the casting is excellent. The pin has some definite age patina, but nearly 60+ years worth?—that’s hard to say. I don’t know if the presentation case tells us anything or not. As you can see, it’s a modern case—but not that modern. Inside the case it reads “Made in USA.” Who knows when a plastic case such as this might have last been made in the US—1970? Is the case original to the pin? No clue. Although my father was not the sort who would have purchased a case for an award.

Thanks to all those who tried to ID this thing. If I find out anything more, I will certainly post.

stubbyeighth

unclegrumpy

Your excellent new pictures made this easy!

The little emblem at the bottom is a keystone, and that is something that the State of Pennsylvania uses. Knowing that, it was easy to find the medal this goes with, which is a Pennsylvania National Guard Medal. I knew I had seen this before, just could not remember where.

Here is a bit about the medal:

"The Pennsylvania Meritorious Service Medal shall be awarded by the Governor to civilians and members of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard, Pennsylvania Air National Guard, and Pennsylvania Guard, in recognition of meritorious service rendered the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania during an emergency, peace, or war, and while holding a position of great responsibility. This award will ordinarily be awarded on the recommendation of the Governor, or any members of his cabinet, or by officers of the State military forces. All recommendations for this award shall be forwarded to the Governor through the Department of Military Affairs."

Meritorious_Service_Medal_-_Pennsylvania_National_Guard.jpg

PS: I bet the crown is what the King of England was wearing when the State was founded in 1682. Also, the better picture shows the background behind the lion much better. With that, it does look the lion and shield the Dutch use, which again would make sense for an emblem from Pennsylvania.

SuinBruin

Good detective work! I picked up on the keystone as well, but when the coat of arms on the pin didn't match the one on the Pennsylvania flag I gave up on that connection. Shoulda kept looking.... :|

RCSignals

the clear photos make all the difference

It's a very odd depiction for the British crown. The positioning of the crown for that depiction is similar to what is typically used as a view of the crown of other countries such as Belgium, Denmark, etc. and considering teh rampant lion with sword may still be.
There aren't that many English crowns. If it is English it appears if could be a 'view' of what we know today as a 'queen's' crown or St Edward's crown. (there is actually no such thing as a King's or Queen's crown, it depends on which crown is chosen for a the coronation.)

What are the three devices in the top of the shield?

RCSignals

Does the nailpost/clutch type of attachment device point to a newer pin? Anyone know when that style attachment started to be used?
I would think an older pin would have a screw back or button hole clip?

unclegrumpy

RCSignals said:
Does the nailpost/clutch type of attachment device point to a newer pin? Anyone know when that style attachment started to be used?
I would think an older pin would have a screw back or button hole clip?

As far as dating this pin, it looks to be somewhere in the 1950's to 1970's. If I had to venture a guess, it would be right around the late 1950's to early 1960's.

Here is another view of a slightly earlier Dutch lion and crown, which looks very close to the one on the pin:

800px-Coat_of_arms_of_Dutch_East_Indies.png

Well. Sumbitch. Pennsylvania. That makes complete sense. The keystone never registered with me; the European-style crest completely threw me. I think Grumpy is right; the pin is almost surely post war, but likely for wartime service. Thanks, Grumpy.

What are the three devices in the top of the shield?

Not sure, but they are on the Canadian Coat of Arms as well, so likely of English pedigree.

stubbyeighth

RCSignals

If you mean the fleur de lis on the Canadian coat of arms they are for 'French Quebec'
It has English lions, Scottish lion, Irish harp and french fleur de lis over Canadian Maple leaves. (or to Toronto, leafs)

They do look similar to what is on the pin, but not sure from the photos

unclegrumpy

I don't think those three gizmos are fleur de lis. What I believe they are, are sailing ships. William Penn brought his group of settlers, mostly Quakers, on three ships when he came to America to settle what became Pennsylvania. I don't remember much more of the story, but I do recall the three ships.

stanier

Nice work unclegrumpy, and what an interesting thread!

RCSignals

Those three gizmos could be ships. When enlarged though they also look like they could be crowns. Somewhere there has to be a formal description of the medal.