• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this Meritorious Service pin? AAF connection?

Hello,

I have a lapel-style pin that reads Merito/rious/ Service (see photo). It was in a box among my some of my father’s military keepsakes including a DFC and an officer’s cap device. He served in the AAF in the ETO and was stationed in England, France, and possibly Belgium. Does anyone recognize it, or know what it might be? The lion makes the pin look English to me, but I’ve never been able to find out any information about it.

The pin may or may not have a military or WW2 connection; I’ve just always assumed that it did because of the other items in the box. Anyway, can anyone ID this pin?

Thanks in advance,

stubbyeighth

RCSignals

Re: Can anyone ID this Meritorious Service pin? AAF connecti

The crest and crown of the crest look Belgian to me. European anyway, rather than British.

unclegrumpy

RCSignals said:
The crest and crown of the crest look Belgian to me. European anyway, rather than British.

I have seen this pin before, but don't know what it is. I believe the Belgian Lion does not have a sword in his hand, but there are a number of old English heraldic lions that do. The answer might be in the details of the crown, which again looks more British to me. Maybe someone with more expertise on the details of European crowns can weigh in on that.

Another thing it could be is something from a non military organization or possibly a school. However, I am not sure where the Roman battle axes in the background fit into that idea. It will be interesting to see what this ends up being.

RCSignals

a clearer/sharper photo would help but the crown does not appear to be British to me, not even as a ducal coronet/crown.

RCSignals

The crown might also be Danish, but is still closer to Belgian to my eye

Here are some Royal Crowns to browse through Link

Some Belgian military badges, with crown Link

a Danish badge with crown
H%C3%A6ren.png

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

RCSignals said:
The crown might also be Danish, but is still closer to Belgian to my eye ...

If this were so, why would the legend be in English?

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
The crown might also be Danish, but is still closer to Belgian to my eye ...

If this were so, why would the legend be in English?

Good question. But if it is an English device why that crown? It is not any British crown I know of or have found.

Perhaps it is not for military service at all, but some organization or society?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

RCSignals said:
Perhaps it is not for military service at all, but some organization or society?

Oh for sure, and Google Image was no help .... who would have thought that Meritorious Service was so popular.

unclegrumpy

One other thing to consider, is crowns can change over time. What if this was a crest for a City or organization that was created when a slightly different crown was being used than WW II or today. This crown might be the 1757 version that was used when whatever it is was founded.

Dr H

Difficult to be sure given the poor resolution/clarity of image, but I'm going with a Swedish crown - the crown, lion (rampant) and the three smaller crowns (assuming that's what they are) all fit.

http://armorialblog.wordpress.com/categ ... -heraldry/

Now sure why it would be in English though when they have a perfectly serviceable (albeit incomprehensible) language of there own... ;)

RCSignals

I was also just going to post that it could also be Swedish, the three crowns of the shield maybe pointing that way.

Could it be in English as it was an award to English speaking foreign soldiers? Just a thought

RCSignals

unclegrumpy said:
One other thing to consider, is crowns can change over time. What if this was a crest for a City or organization that was created when a slightly different crown was being used than WW II or today. This crown might be the 1757 version that was used when whatever it is was founded.

Royal crowns are usually quite consistent. I still maintain it is not a British crown.

Dr H

We're overlooking something rather significant, although potentially misleading...

Those are crossed fasces behind the shield. Threw me for a moment as I couldn't recall any fascist history in Sweden, but a quick trawl shows that the Swedish police force has this emblem in their arms http://www.cepol.europa.eu/index.php?id=sweden

Still doesn't explain the English, but 'meritorious service' does sound in keeping...

unclegrumpy

RCSignals said:
Royal crowns are usually quite consistent. I still maintain it is not a British crown.

You may well be right about it not being British, though I know with some Countries, they changed the details of the crowns when they got a new King....or Queen.

Another thing this could be, is some sort of Company pin. It is the size of the type of pin that companies give employees for long service or in this case, meritorious service. If not a company, maybe an organization that was doing war service work.

Also, I wonder what the three things are in the top of the shield. The photo is not very clear, but they kind of look like they could be maple leaves, which might suggest a Canadian connection.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what this turns out to be.

Dr H

Hello...

Hello...

Is my link not working?

It's a Swedish police force pin... post 1926...

The lion is not British, but Swedish (in England they are horizontal; the rampant lion is Scottish)

The three small objects are the three Swedish crowns ...or is somebody now going to tell me that these are three thistles :roll:

The crossed fasces don't to my belief occur in Britain or Canada...

Oh boy...last chance before I give this up as a bad job and go to bed :lol: