• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Tanker

Peter Graham

I've wanted a tanker jacket ever since I saw Kelly's Heroes in the cinema with my dad. I've long given up on the idea of ever owning a wearable original so I picked up this one from the same seller in Indonesia that I recently got the Buzz B-10 from. This guy has now got even worse feedback than the last time I bought from him but I've had no problems. Both jackets had free shipping via DHL, which only takes five days and is trackable from it leaves the seller till it arrives, and unlike other couriers, DHL update the tracking at every stage. Very interesting to watch the progress. Highly recommended.
On to the jacket. To be honest, based on the jackets I've owned, admittedly only five, I think BR is over rated. They never get it quite right, be it blousy sleeves, the wrong lining, wrong decals. Don't get me wrong, the jackets are quality kit, but there's always something not quite right.
The tanker may well be the exception to this. I've never handled an original but I've handled a lot of US gear and it feels and looks like an original piece of WW2 US Army field equipment. The colours are spot on and the shell and blanket lining feel just right. The wool knits have a slightly rough look and feel to them which perfectly matches knit caps in my collection. I've included a comparison photo with an original blanket which shows how good the wool parts are. No blousy sleeves on this one. They are A-2 trim, as they should be, and the cut looks spot on compared to photos of originals. I think part of the problem with BR, with the exception of the M-42 jump jacket, is that the jackets are just too 'nice'. All bells and whistles, and never a non decal option. The tanker feels very understated, as a military jacket should. This one is a 36 and it was cheap, but I'm so impressed I may look for a 38 for a little more shoulder room and layering. I'd love to see their M-41 in the flesh. The inside photos have the more correct colour. Right, now to go and watch Kelly's Heroes again ! :D

I lost most of the label with the flash.

Comparison with original US Army blanket on top.

foster

Buzz makes a pretty good tanker jacket. The lining is the main weakness. I had a look at the newest ones a few weeks ago in Japan. The lining still is not quite right, but it's splitting hairs for most. When worn nobody knows.

You may enjoy reading this comparison article I wrote last year comparing a Buzz Rickson tanker with an original.
http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/BRWCJ/index.html

Their M-41 jacket is possibly a better copy of the originals than the tanker, but both are excellent. The lining is the weakest link in both instances (in my opinion).

I think your new Buzz tanker looks great. Does it have a decal on the shoulder? I didn't think their tanker jackets had those?

Peter Graham

foster said:
I think your new Buzz tanker looks great. Does it have a decal on the shoulder? I didn't think their tanker jackets had those?
Heaven forbid, no. I was talking about their flight jackets, specifically the B-10. I guess Buzz aren't the only offenders here. As many B-10's were produced without decals as with, but try buying a repro without one.

foster

Thanks for clarifying, I was wondering as some of the jackets they make have replicated insignia painted on.

I have a B-10 and the decal is the only objection I have to it. I'd have preferred it without, I agree.

But back to the tanker, great jacket, enjoy! Intend to think they look better and better, the more they are worn and weathered.

Peter Graham

Just read your review. Interesting. The first thing that that struck me was that the zipper started higher up than looked normal. I was right. As for the lining, you're right. It's a looser, less dense weave than a standard US Army blanket. Apart from those issues, a pretty good repro.

foster

It's one of the top repros, no doubt about it. Personally I like the WWII Impressions newest batch, but that was largely because they took the time to make some in taller lengths as I needed (and they did a great job too).
I spent many years looking for a really good replica of the tanker jacket, that now I regard the Buzz and WWII Impressions ones very highly. If John Chapman ever gets into making tanker jackets, well, I expect all the rankings will be shaken up! :D

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
I've wanted a tanker jacket ever since I saw Kelly's Heroes...I'd love to see their M-41 in the flesh.
Haha! Me too! It always tends to be films that make me want to own certain jackets! Sadly, one never gets old and wise enough to know they're not going to make a person as cool as Clint! :lol:

I'm currently after another Buzz M-41...I sold my last one, their Tokyo Phantom model (no idea how this differs from their current one), for some reason. Would have bought one on Monday but the Yahoo Japan seller wouldn't allow me to bid; I think I've tried to bid on this seller's stuff over the years using 3 different ID's and all have hit the same stumbling block...I've no idea who does get to bid!

dujardin

cooooooooooooooooooooool

nice jacket

just place a bomb squadron on it ;)

or a TD patch

looks good on you

ausreenactor

I LOVE Buzz Tankers. I would have to have had no less than a dozen rock through my McScrooge, profiteering, little hands. :evil: Only a 42 Khaki version here at the moment... Missed a first pattern a couple of weeks ago.. Enjoy it!!

Couchy

CBI

foster - John Chapman has made two tanker prototypes. I owned the second one and it was/is fantastic - an EXACT copy - but he won't be mass producing them as far as I know. Jeff M owns it now.

mindful

Peter Graham said:
mindful said:
Peter you need a nice jeep cap to go with it
I've got two mate, but I thought it might be a bit much to wear one for the pics. :)

i know what you mean but look at the guys in the movie they look super cool, some times you just got to look the part ;)

By the way what do you think of the real McCoy version of there tankers they come with a mix match knits :?:

Peter Graham

mindful said:
By the way what do you think of the real McCoy version of there tankers they come with a mix match knits :?:
I just googled it. Looks very similar to the Buzz one apart from the Talon zipper, which I like. Can't see any mix match knits.
Foster, you've got me. I can't spot the flaw.