• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson N-1 Deck Jacket photos.

Peter Graham

Very impressive. They have got the alpaca and the Belford cord down pat. Those little loops in the armpits and inside the waist are interesting. The later green N-1's do not have those. I would imagine they were designed to hold up the bib and braces style deck trousers that went with the jackets. I thought you might be interested to see the deck hoods that went with these. The first pic is the early model. This was mint when I got it but it's well salt stained now as I wear it on the boat on diving trips. At least it's being used for what it was designed for ! The second pic is the later type that would have been issued with my jacket. I picked it up at a military fair for £3. It's never been worn. I haven't ruined that one yet ! Both hoods are of the same Belford cord as the jackets and are blanket wool lined.
hoods002.jpg

hoods001.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for posting those Peter. I have three of the green, peaked ones. 2 at 7 1/2 and one at 7 3/4. I'd love to get a biggie in blue.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Peter Graham said:
Those little loops in the armpits and inside the waist are interesting. The later green N-1's do not have those. I would imagine they were designed to hold up the bib and braces style deck trousers that went with the jackets. quote]

Peter,
I'm not convinced that those loops are for the braces / suspenders. There are two either side of the zipper and the other two are directly under the arms. None of them line up where I would expect the braces to be. The front ones are too close together. The underarm ones are as far from the braces as you can get and routing them through those would make things very restrictive and uncomfortable. Just my opinion. As for glove ties (like you might have had to stop you losing your gloves as a kid), they would normally be at the cuff surely ?

If anyone else has a theory, let's hear it please !

Dave

rich

In the Buzz Rickson section on the ELC site, they show this loop with the drawstring tucked back into it -
I don't know how this would work with all the loops you mention though!?!?!?!?

http://www.eastmanleather.com/images/N- ... uemont.jpg

See what you think..... sorry, I don't have one of these jackets .......... I still don't think I can live with the lettering. I asked Gary
if it was available without and he said that's how they come, no variation. What would you guys suggest as an alternative - Spiewak or Alpha ? Or are these a bit pony? I'd be glad of your opinions, I'm bored at the thought of another winter in an M-65, good though it is!

Seems Buzz's khaki version eschew's the lettering on the back for a smaller sized USN on the left breast......... hmmmmm .....

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 26pwst%3D1

Peter Graham

rich said:
I still don't think I can live with the lettering.
Buy a green one. They do not have USN on the back, only on the left chest. If you can't live with that either, go to TK MAXX for a puffa jacket ! :)

rich

I'd love to Peter, where do you buy 'em though - apart from a most unlikely off chance at TK Maxx of course! ( I like that shop about as much as I like Ikea!)

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't wanting a shorty jacket or blue N-1 without the 'U S NAVY' on the back be a bit like wanting an A-2 without the collar snaps ?? Or with a 2 piece back ?

I thought that authenticity was the byword for this forum or are you, Rich, looking for a fashion jacket ?

Normally we take our jackets EXACTLY as they were or am I wrong on that ?

Dave

rich

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Wouldn't wanting a shorty jacket or blue N-1 without the 'U S NAVY' on the back be a bit like wanting an A-2 without the collar snaps ?? Or with a 2 piece back ?

I thought that authenticity was the byword for this forum or are you, Rich, looking for a fashion jacket ?

Normally we take our jackets EXACTLY as they were or am I wrong on that ?

Dave

I take your point Dave and I think that you are quite right - this is why I'm looking to get the khaki version with the smaller lettering. I've been thinking why it is I don't want that writing on my back and I don't have a straightforward answer - maybe I instinctively don't want to draw attention to myself? I have 3 A2's, (all repros) and have never wanted the airforce decal on the sleeve either although I'm fine with the small name-tag on the chest. Again, I couldn't say why. Regardless of all this, the N-1 is a great jacket and I can't wait to get one. And Dave, it's mostly your fault for posting those pics! :)

asiamiles

rich said:
I take your point Dave and I think that you are quite right - this is why I'm looking to get the khaki version with the smaller lettering. I've been thinking why it is I don't want that writing on my back and I don't have a straightforward answer
I can understand it. I don't think you're alone in this thinking. Small/front is definitely preferable to large/back.

rich

I managed to an N-1 from ELC, they had my size in stock and shipped it very quickly. They only have the aged/distressed version now, so if you want khaki it's this or nothing. To me, it looks very well made and feels very strong - it's also heavier than I had imagined. I like the discreet USN on the front, overall I'm really pleased with it. Many thanks to Jacket-Head for his sound advice which helped me get a proper fit. It's also the only military spec jacket I've ever bought that hasn't made my wife's lip curl - now that's got to be worth something! If anyone wants, I'll post another shot with exact measurements marked on.
n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

Peter Graham

That's a really nice jacket Rich. I love the faded finish. Sorry to seem nerdish but the font of the USN looks incorrect. Maybe they used different types but this is the only one I've seen.
N-1004-1.jpg

rich

Peter Graham said:
That's a really nice jacket Rich. I love the faded finish. Sorry to seem nerdish but the font of the USN looks incorrect. Maybe they used different types but this is the only one I've seen.

Nothing nerdish in what you say Peter - on the website they call it an exact duplication but on their earlier unfaded version, that lettering is much closer to your original. And these originals don't seem to have the markings at all

http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/t ... ts&ST=Deck

I'll have to let my ignorance be bliss, I can't afford to do anything about it now! :?

Peter Graham

Here's a photo from Jonathan Gawne's excellent book "Spearheading D- Day" showing the typical uniform of a Naval officer, including the N-1 as worn in 1944. This, of course, is a modern photo but using original equipment.
A2.jpg