• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson MA-1

Peter Graham

I picked this up for a bargain price on ebay. I'd never owned or even seen a Buzz jacket until I recieved this. Now I know why people rave about them. It just oozes quality. I guess this must be an older Buzz MA-1 as it has BR on the label as opposed to "Lion uniforms" that the jackets for sale now have. The only thing I have to compare it to is my Alpha replica B-15D (mod) and I thought it was pretty good until I got this jacket. The Buzz jacket just feels "denser" all round from the heavier nylon to the Crown zippers, and the knits are superb, really tight and lovely quality wool. The difference that really counts between them is the cut. The Buzz has a trim military cut as opposed to the modern blousey feel of the Alpha. The comparison is not really fair though. If I had bought the Buzz jacket new I could have bought five Alpha's from Closeoutpete for the same price. A word on the auction. It was a BIN and I was a bit dubious as the seller was in Thailand and stated that delivery would be four weeks. I hit the button and five days later it arrived. A lot quicker than from the US and even some UK sellers.
ma1001.jpg

ma1002.jpg

ma1003.jpg

ma1004.jpg

ma1005.jpg

ma1006.jpg

MikeyB-17

Cracking jacket, Peter. I had a Buzz B-15B, and the attention to detail is superb. Reckon that'll get some wear!

Mark Headlee

Ave Fraters,

I've picked up an excellent deal on a BR MA-1, the construction and details are fantastic, but I've a question.

Are the jackets suppose to be short in the waist. The shoulder and arms are perfect, but just looks short on me. I'm so use to A2 fit this MA-1 seems to be short in the torso. Also, does BR use thinner knits compared to the originals. The knits seem thin...

Just wondering?...

Mark Headlee

watchmanjimg

Congrats on your new acquisition! In my experience MA-1 and L-2B jackets are notoriously short in the waist. This applies to originals and repros alike, although there is some fluctuation. I suppose it has to do with the jacket being intended for wear over a one-piece flying suit while seated. Regarding the knits, I have noticed that the type used by Buzz seems a bit less robust than originals but I never owned one long enough for them to exhibit wear.

rich

You're looking mean there Peter! I didn't spill your pint, honest. :)

I noticed that some BR jackets come in a long fitting, would this be true of originals too or is it a sop by BR for the consumer market?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
I noticed that some BR jackets come in a long fitting, would this be true of originals too or is it a sop by BR for the consumer market?

Originals don't come in long fittings, and I believe that BR only offer long in the civilian black Gibson versions.

Mark Headlee

Sirs,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I know there is a difference between "military" fit and "civilian" fit and this answers my question. It is good to have a jacket that does not bunch up around your neck when sitting, but I started to wonder after a few "isn't that jacket too small for you" from several chums. And thanks for the note on the knits. Do any of the members have a suggestion on more substantial replacement knits. For what I have in this jacket I could afford to re-do the knits and still be well ahead of a new jacket!!!

Mark Headlee

rich

deeb7 said:
rich said:

Originals don't come in long fittings, and I believe that BR only offer long in the civilian black Gibson versions.

David, can I ask if black was ever used for any original nylon jackets, for instance as you commonly see reproduced by Alpha? Or are they all just nods to the fashion conscious?

watchmanjimg

I've heard claims of black flight jackets being used in certain military applications, but I've never seen an original issued example and seriously doubt one exists as such. I suspect any black jackets worn for official purposes are procured from commercial sources, rather than produced according to the same specs as those manufactured pursuant to military contracts--no matter what some would have us believe.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
David, can I ask if black was ever used for any original nylon jackets, for instance as you commonly see reproduced by Alpha? Or are they all just nods to the fashion conscious?

What Jim said .....

And also it was largely the invention of science fiction writer, jacket enthusiast, and watch collector, Bill Gibson.

You've probably read the story, and at 6' 4", he was also responsible for the extra length .....

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/ ... rchive.asp

usafwso

While L-2B & MA-1's are short in the waist lets not forget they are meant to be worn with a bag, or, in better terms a flight suit. Worn with trousers with a belt, they tend to bunch up over the belt.

Atticus

rich said:
...can I ask if black was ever used for any original nylon jackets, for instance as you commonly see reproduced by Alpha? Or are they all just nods to the fashion conscious?

I have never seen a black nylon jacket with a DSA or DLA number. On the other hand, my local police officers love 'em. They buy 'em from U. S. Cavalry by the truck load.

AF

usafwso

You are quite right on the no black MA-1 jackets. The Buzz Rickson's William Gibson's are nice.....

SpeednAngels

usafwso said:
You are quite right on the no black MA-1 jackets. The Buzz Rickson's William Gibson's are nice.....

Beg to differ...Black MA-1 issued to USAF SP services 1976-1978 Alpha issue
I've seen them used by them Craig AFB Alabama 29th TFW, 3rd SRS
not tryin to piss u off

watchmanjimg

I can't speak for USAFWSO, but I'm certainly not pissed off by your remarks. However, I'd like to see one of these black issued jackets if they exist. Remember, none of us said the military never used black MA-1s. We're just saying they appear to have been commercially procured, rather than made pursuant to a contract.