• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Lion arrived

Tim P

It was with trepidation that I accepted the assurance over the telephone from ELC that a XXXL ma1 would fit as it equated to a 46.. I trusted wahat was said and accepted that a return was possible. It arrived today and I have to say that it is a generous fit but a fit nonetheless. mainly the length is good and being a long bodied so and so that was going to be the main issue.
The nylon colour is much lighter than seen on later L2's and so on but everything about it screams Mil spec. Tight stitching and so on. i like the way the interlining is zig zagged onto the lining fabric, all the bartacks and so on.
delighted. Not a cheap jacket when more budget alternatives can be had but it wins by way more than a nose in terms of value.
Not bad for an impulse buy. I am glad that having read Pattern recognition I didnt elect for a black one. ;)

rich

Tim P said:
xxx was what they had left. glad it worked.

The fits do seem inconsistent - I have the L-2A in 44" and it feels perfect. The L-2B in a 44" seems more like a 46"........

I'd like to know the pit-to-pit of a Buzz Lion MA-1 44" or XXL if anyone could measure it.

Tim P

I cant find the camera, there is no one to take pics of me in it and in any case the ELC/HPA pics tell all in truth. they are consistent with what I have here. If I can find the camera I will post.
anyhow.. i cant help but feel that XXXL is way too big for me even though the fit feels fine if a little bit roomy I actually dont mind that as pics you see of nylon jackets in use always have that bubble shaped blousey look that rounds the shoulders slightly. mystified i have set about compiling the following results. where i have measured the back length it is nape seam to the very bottom. where I have measured back width that has been from back sleeve seam to seam outer arm measurement from shoulder seam to cuff including knit see how these compare
Lion Ma1 XXXL
pit to pit 27
Under sleeve 18
zip 23
back length 25
shoulder seam 7
over sleeve 25-26
back width 22

Buzz Rickson Sperior Togs L2a size 44
pit to pit 26
Under sleeve 19
zip 21
back length 25
shoulder seam 7
over sleeve 26
back width 21.75

Buzz Rickson B15C size 46
pit to pit 28
Under sleeve 18
zip 22.5
back length 25.5-26
shoulder seam 7
over sleeve 25
back width 22

Eastman Roughwear B10 first run size 48
pit to pit 27
Under sleeve 22 (plus gusset, missing from nylons)
zip 23
back length 26
shoulder seam 7
over sleeve 26
back width 21

To me these all seem much of a muchness and demonstrate that the proportions of the Ma1, irrespective of labelled size are within the ball park of all my other comparable jackets.
opinions?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tcwu said:
It's XL ! (size 44 for me)

Yeah, that sounds about right, and I find that Buzz are pretty consistant with their sizing. Variations are no more than you would get between original contracts.

Perhaps some of the sizing info is being lost in translation. HPA, for example, list size 44 as XXL, in line with Eastman's 46 as XXL.

But they also state: Sizes 36XS - 44XXL ..... and that doesn't work out.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Perhaps some of the sizing info is being lost in translation. HPA, for example, list size 44 as XXL, in line with Eastman's 46 as XXL.
In Japan L = 40, so we should take XL= 42, XXL = 44, & XXXL = 46. I wonder if you can even buy the latter two here in Japan? Maybe some shops in Ueno stock the odd one or maybe you can order them specially, but most stores only carry up to 40, with perhaps the occasional 42.

Tim P

Mine is roomy in the chest but many photos support that. The shoulder fit is just right and the other proportions are consistent with all other nylon that fits me.