• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz AN-J-3

asiamiles

I believe this is the first repro AN-J-3 from one of the so-called high end makers. Not sure why it has taken so long.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/junkyspecial/br80410/

imgrc0063454178.jpg

colekwok

Frankly, it does not look too impressive to me when compared to the BK or Aero offerings, if you do not consider the later two being high end.

asiamiles

colekwok said:
Frankly, it does not look too impressive to me when compared to the BK or Aero offerings, if you do not consider the later two being high end.
To be honest, I was unaware that either of those companies had done AN-J-3s. While it certainly makes some high quality product, I personally probably don't consider Aero strictly 'high end', though I'm kind-of looking at things more from how they're seen in Japan. No idea about BK; I only recall the company from its early days, when it was heavily promoted on here.

But I agree. It doesn't look so great from the pics, though that could be down more to the quality of the photos than the quality of the jacket. I popped into Junky (which recently moved a couple hundred yards down the road) last month, and if I'd known about this jacket I'd have looked more closely at the leather on the racks to see if they had one in order to examine it in the flesh.

MikeyB-17

Won't be for some considerable while, but I plan on getting a new jacket at some stage, and I have my eye on an AN-J-3. Won't be one of those from that pic (couldn't afford it anyway). A BK looks most likely.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Can't say I'm crazy about that smooth leather and the collar is huge.
I'm pretty sure the collar is an accurate copy of that found on an original AN-J-3...it's always looked big to me. The smooth look of the leather might be more down to the photos than the actual hide...the close-ups suggest the goatskin may be as it we would want it to be.

Am I right in saying that BK and Aero have only done the version of the AN-J-3 with the "navy" windflap?

asiamiles

bseal said:
Gibson & Barnes has one as well. Originals had large collars.
Yes, the Gibson & Barnes repro was the only one I'd been aware of; my use of the term 'high end' in my original post was intended to distinguish between them and the likes of Good Wear, Buzz, The Real McCoy's etc.

colekwok

asiamiles said:
Peter Graham said:
I'm pretty sure the collar is an accurate copy of that found on an original AN-J-3...it's always looked big to me. The smooth look of the leather might be more down to the photos than the actual hide...the close-ups suggest the goatskin may be as it we would want it to be.

Am I right in saying that BK and Aero have only done the version of the AN-J-3 with the "navy" windflap?

I think both Bk and Aero have the option of removing the navy 'windflap'.

As for the 'high-end' category, I would only consider Goodwear as the high end. Buzz, in particular, are not on par with Real or Toy McCoys. High-price is probably a more appropriate word for those Japanese makers. ;)

ausreenactor

colekwok said:
asiamiles said:
Peter Graham said:

I think both Bk and Aero have the option of removing the navy 'windflap'.

As for the 'high-end' category, I would only consider Goodwear as the high end. Buzz, in particular, are not on par with Real or Toy McCoys. High-price is probably a more appropriate word for those Japanese makers. ;)

I have had many high quality Buzz Rickson A-2s. Some of which match GW in the hide department. One of which I wish I had kept in lieu of funding a GW... And my BK Werber is probably the only jacket I will still have to pass on to my son...when I die... in 40 years... And the BR Cloth and Nylons are the business....

asiamiles

I got to see one of these in the flesh in Shinjuku Junky yesterday, and it's a great looking jacket which the photo doesn't come near to doing justice to. I may need to make space in my wardrobe should one crop up on the secondary market.