• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffalo Pros and Cons

Superfluous

How does Buffalo hide compare to other hides (e.g., horse, cow, etc). I am particularly interested in rigidity/stiffness/pliability?

Separately, from a historical perspective, how and when was Buffalo hide used over the years?

a2jacketpatches

Any Buffalo that I've handled has a great texture to it, fairly rigid, very strong and tough. Not as pliable for use on a jacket I'd say, but I'm sure there's ways of tanning it for garment use. Native Americans used it as a covering for Teepees because of it's strength.

bseal

Aeroleather offered their apparel in it for a time. IIRC there's an item in our for sale section in a seal color. Try a search. ;)

Vcruiser

Well..there's different kinds of buffalo. American buffalo made jackets that seem to have a smooth spongy or pebbled grain leather. Then there is Water Buffalo that my Aero A2 is made from. A grainy thick hide that is soft but has a crisp hand. Here's a pic...

MikeyB-17

I had a Highwayman in it once, really nice leather and the best-smelling jacket I ever had. Didn't get on with the style, but no fault of the hide. Mine was tanned to look like vintage goatskin, and it did.

Garylafortuna

Buzz Rickson offers an all black G-1 in what they call 'shrunken buffalo'. It certainly is a beautiful piece of work, albeit a little on the pricey side. They don't say if they use North American bison or cape buffalo or any other genus. I'm wondering if anybody here on VLJ owns one or has seen, or could comment on this jacket. They do make mention that the woolen knits are heavier to accommodate the heavier leather. At the moment I am saving up for an Eastman M-422A, but this jacket really grabs me. Not a single one of my leather jackets is black. Thank you............. Gary

regius

Eastman's Horsehide also gets spongy after broken in, its less evident as its thinner. In a way, all leather gets spongy with wear as the fiber structure gets decompressed.

Bombing IP

Tis is true but when you skive leather to a certain oz you have a problem where the natural full grain has peaks and valleys . This valley so to speak is the thinnest area for the leather and if it in an area where the owner flexes it constantly will detach . Usually to correct this I have seen patches glued on the inside where the hole is ,the suede suede face of the leather .

BIP

regius

Tis is true but when you skive leather to a certain oz you have a problem where the natural full grain has peaks and valleys . This valley so to speak is the thinnest area for the leather and if it in an area where the owner flexes it constantly will detach . Usually to correct this I have seen patches glued on the inside where the hole is ,the suede suede face of the leather .

BIP

I don't see how skiving is relevant to the original question here? Sure, when you slice you thin the leather period. But the original question was about the sponginess after breaking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bombing IP

[

I don't see how skiving is relevant to the original question here? Sure, when you slice you thin the leather period. But the original question was about the sponginess after breaking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What post are you reading ? .

Taken from the original question "particularly interested in rigidity/stiffness/pliability?"

My point was the fuller the grain more un-uniform the thickness thus less rigidity . Sponginess is relevant only to compression and that probably only happens during skiving .I do not think that leather gets thicker or sponginess as it get used more . I should of been more specific in my previous answer . To be honest I thought my posts do not get read .

BIP

Last edited: