• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British bike/utility jacket

Peter Graham

John Lever gave me the heads up on this one when I put out a call for a Luftwaffe style jacket. It arrived from the US last week. It was listed on ebay as dating from the 50's but I'm not so sure. Anyone with expertise in Lightning zippers may be able to date it more accurately. It's a nice jacket for sure, has had very light use and still needs some breaking in. I think it's goat but I'm not 100% sure. What I am sure of is that I've never heard of the maker and I've turned up nothing on the web. Any help with more info would be appreciated. As I said, all zippers are Lightning and it's lined in quilted rayon which is spotless. The quality of construction is very high and the one piece back is a nice touch. The removable collar latch is a feature I've never come across before and works very well. The cuffs zip up tightly and it's definitely been designed with motorcycling in mind. Here's the pics. Opinions very welcome.

joeson

I have one 'Good Companion' suede jacket but have had leather in the past.As you can probably gather from the label,these were sports utility jackets.I would imagine that they were either sold by a large retail outfit like Burtons or Dunn & Co,or by mail order catalogue.Always difficult to track down who or what with these English jackets as there are so many labels that seemed to come and go.If you would like to get more input you could try here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintageleatherjackets/

MikeyB-17

That's a beauty, Peter, you jammy swine :D . Love the details, like the panel for the inside pocket, and I also love that style of Lightning zip. And it fits you bang on. Looks like goat to me too. I see you've adopted the goatee too-mine is a permanent fixture these days.

Dentman

Very nice vintage jacket and the fit is spot on. Good to see it back over the pond where it started its life.

dujardin

hello Peter

i know nothing about those (motorbike) jackets

this is a nice one, and she fit you perfectly

enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Peter Graham

joeson said:
Think it may have flown the coop,saw it on an online auction site a few days ago.

You're right. It's gone back to the US ! I decided that I really didn't like it, fickle that I am. Lost a packet on it too. :( . I've learned a valuable lesson or two there.