• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brill Bros contract chocolate colored G-1

NickG

Here's the G-1 shown with my AN-J-3 (A-2/G1 Hybrid) to compare leather color !
Definately not your standard Navy seal brown color...
The squadron patches (Cal-Aero USAAF contracted flying school) just laid out for effect!
a2042.jpg

airfrogusmc

Atticus said:
I think your jacket may have been sold at a PX aboard some military base. I would guess that it was made just after the "G-1 blackout" which was from 1977 until 1982. My opinion is based on having lived in Jacksonville, N.C. from '82 until '89 where I saw many white-tag G-1s such as yours sold at the Camp Lejuene Mainside PX. They were somewhat unique in that they were all that reddish color and bore civilian tags.

Interestingly enough, in those days civilians who knew someone in the military with PX privileges (and everyone did), could buy and proudly wear G-1s....but aircrew out at New River MCAS couldn't get G-1s from supply and, if they already had them, couldn't wear them except in very narrowly defined circumstances.

AF

Yep we couldn't wear them anywhere out in town. Only on base......That was in the early/mid 1970s.

Atticus said:
I'm not at home so that I can look at my copy of Hell Bent, but google tells me that the discussion we are interested in occurs at pages 99-102.

I notice that Dave hasn't yet posted on this version of VLJ, though he's registered here. He used to post a bit on an older version of this forum...about the time we were in the Skeeter Crisis, as I recall.

AF
Ahh, the Skeeter Crisis. Now those were interesting times!

Atticus

sealbeachbum said:
Ahh, the Skeeter Crisis. Now those were interesting times!
Careful. If you repeat his name thrice...even unintentionally...he will materialize from a cloud of sulfurous smoke.

AF