• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand new guy with a G-1 to date..........

Flightpath

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum and I'm hopeing I will be here quite often..........

A friend (Jed, the naval aviator in my avtar) gave me one of his G-1 jackets yesterday, he was flying in US Navy P2 Neptunes during the 1960s, I'd like to get a date on it. Over on MWR Crusader said that going by the Spec. tag it's a 1962 jacket............. can you please confirm the date, I'd be very happy about that date because the jacket looks unused/brand new! I'll post some more photos soon.

G-1tag.jpg

Some other items from my friend.......... the original 1960s VP-2 patch is 4-3/4 inches wide, the aviator's wings are marked: 'USMC SER. 298' GEMSCO N.Y. 1/20 -10K GF

Jedsinsignia.jpg

cheers & thanks,

-John
P.S. I was given the jacket under the condition that I have to wear it sometimes..... there's no problem about that! ;)

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum John. Yes this jacket dates from 1962. G1s from the 1960s and 70s usually had the last two digits of the date on the spec label. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

MikeyB-17

Hi, John, welcome. Yep, that's a 1962 contract jacket all right-from the 11214-C-62 at bottom right. G-1's of that time are nice jackets, they were still using mouton collars then, and the goatskin is still of good quality-later on they used faux fur collars and the general standard deteriorated. Jackets of that specification (7823B) are well thought of and relatively rare(according to John Chapman, who's one of the resident G-1 experts around here), so if it's in the sort of condition you describe, that's a fine present he's given you, especially with all the wings and other insignia. Just picked up a 1962 B-series myself, which I'm delighted with. We gotta see pictures!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Flightpath said:

can you please confirm the date, I'd be very happy about that date because the jacket looks unused/brand new! I'll post some more photos soon.

Jacketspecstag.jpg

We already dated the jacket earlier,John.

Here's the thread, same picture .....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=818

Flightpath

Thanks deeb,

I thought it was already dated but didn't know what the headding was or where Tom had posted it,

thanks,

-John

Flightpath

Tom in Atlanta said:
Sorry for any confusion as to where I posted the original inquiry. Congrats - it's a great looking jacket! Tom

No worries Tom,

I became a member here the night after you posted and was not really sure where you posted it........ I should have looked closer,

cheers,

-John
P.S. Yep, I love the jacket and have worn it the last two days when the sun's behind the clouds! ;)

dujardin

helloooooooooo,

welcome on the forum.
Aussie in Norway ?????????
will you explain a little.
thanksssssssssssss byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Flightpath

dujardin said:
helloooooooooo,

welcome on the forum.
Aussie in Norway ?????????
will you explain a little.
thanksssssssssssss byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Well,
the short story is.......... I had visited Norway years ago and loved it. My mother visited Norway a few years ago and met this lovely girl and they became friends, good old mother showed me some photos and we began writeing and getting to know eachother.

Here's the first photo my future wife sent to me..........
Jorunn-1.jpg

Oh yeah. blue eyes, brown hair........... how could I resist!

I thought it would be nice to visit Norway again and see my friend. We were engaged a few months later, I moved to Norway, married and now have two kids.
Norway's a great place for the mil collector or researcher with aircraft wrecks, good museums and items for sale that have not been on 15 collectors tables at shows.

cheers,

-John

dujardin

hello John,

thanks for the little story.
i also really enjoy Norway beeing there several time when i was into Belgian Navy.
fjords are splendid.
trolls'story are amazing.
and aquavit abord Oslo (Norwegian Navy frigate) are mortal.
and ladies of Norway are so beautiful, i remember a girl with blond (light redness) and green eyes ohhhhhhhhhhhh jesus... if she ask me at that time to marry her, today i had also to write in my avatar Belgian from Norway

byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Flightpath

Yes,
the girls in Norway are usually a step up from those in many places I have visited!
(I have added the first photo my wife sent me)
-John

Vcruiser

Flightpath said:
Yes,
the girls in Norway are usually a step up from those in many places I have visited!
-John

Lucky man,John!
What a beauty!
Van

Flightpath

Vcruiser said:
Flightpath said:
Yes,
-John

Lucky man,John!
What a beauty!
Van

Yep, I sure am,

and she even let me hang that VP-2 patch on the liveing room wall! ;)

-John