• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BOXCAR Artwork restoration

a2jacketpatches

Restoration project for a guy in So Cal, the painting is about 20 years old and appears to have been done with Testors model paints. In my opinion, the cracking and flaking looks good but I guess it's a little too flaky for him. I started by stressing the paint quite a bit and then scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush to remove the loose stuff. Next as you can see here, a white base of create white containing a bond all component and catalyst will secure what is left and create a base for acrylic colors. The white base with added components is needed for the straight acrylics to adhere properly. Basically, I'll do this for every different colored section until complete. Next series of photos will be the completed job. High res photos were taken of the piece before stressing so I can reference while in process. I'll be starting another project referred to me by JC in a couple of weeks. An original A2 the family wants restore to original artwork appearance. I'll post pics once I receive the jacket and the progress of it as well.
100_2336_zps5b3cd152.jpg

100_2337_zpsf25237d5.jpg

100_2339_zps0cdcaa7c.jpg

100_2340_zps56227e65.jpg

100_2341_zps115ce52a.jpg

100_2342_zps32da0933.jpg

Andrew

Nice work Johnny, that's a plane that's a little contentious but one that has special interest for me!

Andrew Bock

a2jacketpatches

All I've done so far Andrew is put my binding mixture on the inner circle, another day or two and you'll see the restored piece. And yeah, a little contentious, but the guy walked into my shop the other day wearing a repop Afrika Korps m43 cap. The Eagle with swastika was fairly subdued because I had to look closely so most people might not even notice. But I'd spot an M43 cap a mile away, especially with the yellow piping.