• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bored and in need of "Unknown" emblem scan/s to ID

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello members, not much going on here in Florida in the way of interesting patch/emblem work etc, and I am BORED to say the least , does any member have any scan/s JPG's of "Unknown" WW-2 era flying unit emblems they would care to e mail my way to see if I can ID them ????????????

Would appreciate some replies , I won't guarantee possitive ID's on them all , but will do my best on them , thanks all and looking forward to hearing from you , have a great weekend and happy collecting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Johnny
WeBeEmblem(at)aol.com

bombs away

Hello Johnny,

If I can help while asking help... :mrgreen:

5745249333_06828dd3b0_b_d.jpg

You already know this patch, it's sewn on the A-2 jacket who belonged to Filippo M. Caseria, he was a P-47 pilot in the 366th FS, 358th FG.
There is a nice P-47 fighter painted on the back and the colours match to this unit. I have found Mr Caseria in the roster of the 358th FG.
But this patch isn't recorded anywhere as a patch of this unit.
I thought it might represent the nose art f the P-47 of this pilot but Marcel has also found the same patch at a militaria fair in Belgium last year.

I know you've already made some researches about this mysterious patch, but if I can help you to be less bored ! ;)

By the way, I'm sure it would be interesting for some of us if you could make a dedicated post on the forum showing your unknown patches.

Tim.

bombs away

Just found it, Marcel's picture from the Ciney militaria fair last year :

DSCF0150-1.jpg

Tim

(thanks Marcel, you've won your Ricard for next july ;) )

EMBLEMHUNTER

Well, I would think that if there's more than one patch, which seeing your's on the jacket and the photo of the one Marcel found plus I have seen it a couple of times either on e bay or a site somewhere, it has to be a "Unit" patch .

I have found over the years that at times even when unit veterans don't recognise a patch , it doesn't always mean the unit didn't use it, you have to remember these guys "memories" are going back 60+ years , and if it was a short lived unit patch(possibly stateside ) and then changed to a more knonw patch once in combat , it would make it that much easier to be "forgotten" so to speak.

Until I find out otherwise via photo proof etc I am sticking with the ID I have it for . As to posting the "Unofficial" and or "Unknowns' I have in my collection , the problem there is they are all photos and or zerox's and I'm computer "Duhhhhhhh" when it comes to getting them scanned/uploded etc , I don't even have a scanner , so on that note I apologise to all the members as I would love to share them , but unable to .
Johnny
P.S. seeing as you mentioned you found Mr. Caseria on thier unit roster , did it list him as a "pilot" or ground crewman etc ?????? there's a slim "possibility" this could be a "service" unit for them seeing as it "appears' the Bug is holding tools in his one hand (to right) .

EMBLEMHUNTER

VERY cool P-40 emblem , never seen this one, like you say most likley a training unit , but a possibilty it could be RAF , as they had the P-40's too, have you checked their side of the "Action" , it couyld be one of thier Fighter Squadrons.
I have a photo so will keep it in my files and I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything on it , thanks for sharing it, that's a really neat design !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

Keep em coming members I am always ready-willing and able to give em the ole "College" try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

Your "Indian" is the emblem for the 556th Bombardment Squadron of the 387th BG , I saw this patch on a nice A-2 display at Wright Patt museum in Ohio a few years ago . It is an "Unofficial" design but was used by this squadron in WW-2 and later , they were a B-26 Marauder unit Called "The Tiger Tails" and "The Tiger Stripe Marauders"
Johnny
Next................................

bombs away

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
P.S. seeing as you mentioned you found Mr. Caseria on thier unit roster , did it list him as a "pilot" or ground crewman etc ?????? there's a slim "possibility" this could be a "service" unit for them seeing as it "appears' the Bug is holding tools in his one hand (to right) .

Hello Johnny,

Yes, Mr Caseria appears as a pilot in the roster. The wings on the nameplate are also showing this.

Another quest for you...
I'm looking for the patch of the 739th Bomb Squadron, 454th BG, 15th AF.
It looks like none of the patches of the squadrons of this BG are known.

All the best,

Tim.

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Your "Indian" is the emblem for the 556th Bombardment Squadron of the 387th BG , I saw this patch on a nice A-2 display at Wright Patt museum in Ohio a few years ago . It is an "Unofficial" design but was used by this squadron in WW-2 and later , they were a B-26 Marauder unit Called "The Tiger Tails" and "The Tiger Stripe Marauders"
Johnny

thanks Johnny - that's where I found it. the 388th bg had a reunion at Wright and I photographed it there. thought I would recall what it was when I got the prints.

David

unclegrumpy

bombs away said:
Hello Johnny,

Another quest for you...

Tim.

I have been looking for the design of the 737th Bomb Squadron's patch.....and have run into the same problem as Tim. The 454th BG patch is around, but I have never found a reference to any of the Squadrons.

I do know from talking with 15th AF veterans over the years, that some of the Bomb Groups did not really fly in Squadrons, but only as a Group. Meaning, the Squadron level of organization did not really matter, and they just assigned crews to the planes they had regardless of squadron and flew them. Those guys tended to wear their Group's patches.

Here is a picture of the 454th BG's patch:

454-bg-patch.JPG

EMBLEMHUNTER

bombs away said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:

Hello Johnny,

Yes, Mr Caseria appears as a pilot in the roster. The wings on the nameplate are also showing this.

Another quest for you...

All the best,

Tim.
Hello Tim , you are correct , as far as I've been able to ascertain , they never had any "Squadron" patches made, I have only seen two versions of the 454th Group patch , they "may" have had "Unofficial" Squadron emblems, but if they did I have not found any "possitive" photo or documental proof of them yet .
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

shedonwanna said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Johnny

thanks Johnny - that's where I found it. the 388th bg had a reunion at Wright and I photographed it there. thought I would recall what it was when I got the prints.

David
Hey David , glad to be of help, I've done that too a few times, didn't take the extra few minutes to note down a unit ID etc thinking I'd remember it later on, sooooooo again glad I could help you !
Johnny

bombs away

unclegrumpy said:
I do know from talking with 15th AF veterans over the years, that some of the Bomb Groups did not really fly in Squadrons, but only as a Group. Meaning, the Squadron level of organization did not really matter, and they just assigned crews to the planes they had regardless of squadron and flew them. Those guys tended to wear their Group's patches.

Hello,

Thanks for this explanation, looks very logical !

Tim.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey members, we were off to a good start on the emblem posting for ID's , lets see some more please !
I enjoy trying to ID them and hope to help some members with some ........................................
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

RCSignals said:
Here is an unidentified

Link
This patch is for the 440th AAFBU , Combat Crew Training ,Santa Rosa,Calif

another Link
This patch if the 442nd Bombardment Squadron of the 320th Bombardment Group

Next .................................................???????????
Johnny