• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bomber Jacket... newbie just learning... is this jacket original or reproduction?

Hello: This is my first post on your forum. I purchased this bomber jacket and I am interested in finding out about it. I have attached some photos that I hope will be useful for id'ing it. Thanks for any information you can share with me. Lynne PS: Could you let me know if upload a thumbnail is enough resolution to see details? I chose full image, but that may be overkill. Thanks!
20191208_160600.jpg

B-Man2

Hi Lynn
Welcome to the VLJ Forum
Your jacket is a commercially produced jacket and not a military one . Your jacket is a distant replica of a jacket known as a Royal Air Force RAF Irvin jacket used by British pilots during WWII. I will attach a photo of an original jacket so you can see the difference .

89C70EB8-FEFD-42CE-A039-87CDA40B1F4F.png

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’m gonna take a flap jack crack and say I have my doubts. This pattern looks more modern than vintage.

did originals have hoods?

welcome.
Hi J
Some originals did have yellow hoods. They were worn by pilots of the Coastal Command
Here’s one.
For clarification these jackets did not have pockets but the pockets on this one were added by the owner.
A2D9410F-3FA2-4D49-BB6A-49927E472F2D.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Sometimes I do not know why I bother posting ? . In fact I think I will stop .

Jeff
Jeff
My apologies I didn’t mean to duplicate your post . I was writing my response when I saw the red flag pop up that there was another posting and I posted my response at that point. As it turned out my post pretty much duplicated yours . The fault lies with me , I should have reviewed any posts after I saw the red flag so as not to reiterate what you had posted . Sorry

Bombing IP

No it not you Burt no apology needed ,its just the time and the way things are with the forum its seems to have run amuck . Nobody really has any interest in what I have to say .We have these Trolls on the forum ready to to attack seemliness harmless post ,how brave of them .I am just tired of it all ,I will check the for sale from time to time . Oscar Mike !

Jeff

B-Man2

No it not you Burt no apology needed ,its just the time and the way things are with the forum its seems to have run amuck . Nobody really has any interest in what I have to say .We have these Trolls on the forum ready to to attack seemliness harmless post ,how brave of them .I am just tired of it all ,I will check the for sale from time to time . Oscar Mike !

Jeff
Jeff
I’ve always found your posts to be helpful and insightful. Sometimes I have days when I say to myself WTF!! Maybe you might be having one too. I hope you’ll change your mind. Would hate to see you go ..
Cheers

jeremiah

Hmmm.
maybe I am being more sensitive today but my response was to burt’s post. Didn’t even see yours BIP. When ones post is quoted the alert is what I see first.
“trolls”? Seeing that reference makes me feel you are meaning me? Maybe not. But like I said. Maybe I’m a bit more sensitive today than others.

I’m gonna take a flap jack crack and say I have my doubts. This pattern looks more modern than vintage.

did originals have hoods?

welcome.
Hey, Jeremiah: Thanks for much for your response. And, sorry for the late reply. My notifications from the forum ended up in spam... just caught up with everyone's feedback. It's great information. Thanks again!

Hi Lynn
Welcome to the VLJ Forum
Your jacket is a commercially produced jacket and not a military one . Your jacket is a distant replica of a jacket known as a Royal Air Force RAF Irvin jacket used by British pilots during WWII. I will attach a photo of an original jacket so you can see the difference .

View attachment 28250
Wow!!! I just shared with Jeremiah that I wasn't receiving my notifications... bumped to my spam... I am on track now. This is amazing information to have... I really appreciate your response. It's a beautiful jacket, and I got it for a song... so I think I will call it a replica and use this great info about the Irwin coat. The history is incredible. I have always loved leather jackets! I spent 25 years as an archaeologist (Scotland, Minnesota, Midwest, South America) and have found my way back to history through my vintage clothing business. It fascinates me. Thanks you again for taking the time to respond... and especially the time to help educate me. Much appreciated!

Coastal patrol Irvins did have hoods but Irvins without hoods never had front pockets .Does your jacket have any labels ?. I would guess this jacket is 15 years old made in Pakistan.

Jeff
Hey Jeff... sorry for the late response. Thank you so much for responding to my request... as I shared with the others... my notifications were not working out... they are now! It helps to know this information for how I post my description on Ebay. Just incredible, the great stores of knowledge you guys all have about these jackets. Thanks for taking the time! Lynne

Jeff
My apologies I didn’t mean to duplicate your post . I was writing my response when I saw the red flag pop up that there was another posting and I posted my response at that point. As it turned out my post pretty much duplicated yours . The fault lies with me , I should have reviewed any posts after I saw the red flag so as not to reiterate what you had posted . Sorry
Thanks you guys. I really do appreciate the support, as I am very new to this area. I appreciate your time very much. Lynne

Jeff
Well, as a new kid on the block, I sure do appreciate all the information you have been willing to share with me!

MikeyB-17

In point of fact I would say that was closer to a USAAF type B-3, which had cuffs like that, similar straps and a pocket, but not handwarmer pockets like that, or a hood, and was never that colour. I think Jeff's not far wrong in saying it was most likely made in Pakistan or similar. Definitely not military issue, but a nice warm jacket I'm sure. Here's one.