• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Bomb Fairys" Australian A-2 listed on Bay State Militia

Mac

This was listed on Bay State Militia -- about halfway down page. I've no affiliation to site; I thought a possible Australian A-2 might be of interest. There are a few other pics but no maker's label.

Mac

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWII/WWIIuniforms.htm

"U-1474 Very unusual Australian made A-2 with Brisbane Maker mark stamped into the lining. Was purchased at a motel buy some years ago. We have the name and the unit, 38TH Bomb Group, 5TH Air Force. This was a B-25 unit. Needs additional research. Waistband appears to have been replaced."

DSCN6368.JPG

DSCN6365.JPG

DSCN6371.JPG

Stony

This jacket has been for sale on Bay State Militaria for a few months now. At least since the end of last summer.

Peter Graham

I thought Aussie made A-2's were constructed using the same pattern as US made ones. That one has three piece sleeves. Private purchase jacket ? Some decent stuff on that site and not the usual rip off prices.

Andrew

The one's i've seen shots of came from a wartime coded manufacturer which would suggest some kind of military input, but as they weren't RAAF issue you could say that even these would have been private purchase as opposed to a contract. They did on the whole appear to follow the general design of the A-2 in terms of panels.

IMO this one would definitely be private purchase due to the sleeve design and the Brisbane maker as opposed to a coded manufacturer. I'd love to know who it was as i'm just up the road from Brisbane, possibly one of the bigger old department stores such as David Jones. Local manufacturers (tailors, jewellers, milliners) often produced uniforms and insignia as the 5thAF and Mac were based in Brisbane.

Times change- not sure about the rest of the world but over here these days you would have to be brave to go around wearing "Bomb Faries" on your back. :lol:

Just an observation but the puffy look of the body and arms reminds me of a LW Dubow I had once.

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
Times change- not sure about the rest of the world but over here these days you would have to be brave to go around wearing "Bomb Faries" on your back. :lol:
Ha ha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. :)