• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boeing Airplane Co. L-2a Type jacket

oose

Hi all,
Came across these interesting photos of a Boeing Airplane Co. L-2a type jacket worn by A.M. "Tex" Johnston and fellow boeing test pilots, the colour looks light compared to military spec and is probably a civilian version, also note the dark colour of the oxygen tab. Does anyone have any info on these, colour etc, not sure what year they were taken but I guess some time in the 1950's. Maybe 1954-55

All the best
stu

deand

The cap is interesting, no surprise to me, in the first photo. I posted this photo last year and asked if anyone knew what model jacket, L-2A or L-2. I'd guess a special contract with Boeing, but if only we had color shots. Could they be yellow? Khaki? Light Blue?

dean

dmar836

Could be that early sage green.
The cap is unique. The bill looks almost large enough to be "sundowner" style but that decorative diagonal accent is very 70's looking IMO - not very military looking.
JMO,
Dave

watchmanjimg

Distinction among the various models of the L-2 family is based on color. The original L-2 was olive drab, the L-2A was blue, and the L-2B was sage green. This applies to the N-2 and N-3 series as well.

Getting back to the jackets depicted here, I'm not sure of their color but I agree that they appear to be a non-regulation type although obviously of fine quality. The giveaways are the unconventional design of the sleeve pocket as well as the zipper, which looks like a Crown but with a different slider assembly than the type used in issued jackets.

oose

Thanks guys,
One shot I missed off.

I think that this is a non military speck jacket, also of note is lack of zip on the pencil pocket, I'm leaning to the colour being yellow,but that just a hunch, no proof yet. Hope something in colour is out there somewhere! Maybe one for Buzz to go with that red MA-1!

All the best
stu

deand

Good detailed look there, Jim, the zips and pocket flapsare a bit different.

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
Good detailed look there, Jim, the zips and pocket flapsare a bit different.

dean

Thanks, Dean! It's actually the sleeve pocket I was referring to, as it lacks the vertical zippered "cigarette" pocket seen in the issued versions.

deand

Doh! :oops: Weird how I looked at those pocket flaps and convinced myself they were wider than a standard L-2A. Didn't even look at the 'cigarette' pocket.

dean

Willy McCoy

I would guess that the jacket is a special order Skyline (Seattle Knitting Mills) with no cigarette pocket but a pencil slot pad.

oose

Thanks deeb
I' not convinced that the one pictured in the Valkyrie link is yellow, I think it probable was white, see image below you can see that the reverse of this jacket was white.

stu

oose

Hi all,
Just an update to an old thread, few more pictures of Boeing L-2b jackets, still looking for a color shot! and a jacket!!

All the best
stu

Willy McCoy

The image of the cockpit is what I am referring to.

http://rbogash.com/727history.html

Hi'ya 'Oose & Peter !!

Here is a picture of Lew Wallick on the first flight of the 727. When I enlarged this picture on my monitor I noticed that the sheen of the fabric reflected light that suggests an absence of military drab but rather a light, primary color like yellow. Perhaps a high visibility jacket was called for when testing the jet over Lake Washington, which was standard practice for Boeing back then.

oose

Hi Willy,
I'm pretty sure its yellow, just waiting to find a color shot to confirm, seems like are this Nylon section is a very select group!!! :lol:

All the best
stu

oose

Hi All,
Well they are NOT Yellow after all! I finally tracked down some color shots. Here they are plus a few more B&W.

All the best
stu