• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue felt under wings- used in The CBI?

fishmeok

Hello

I am putting together a tributre jacket for my uncle who flew P-38's with the 449th in the CBI. Was the blue felt backing under wings used only in the ETO or was it in all combat theaters?

Cheers
Mark

a2jacketpatches

I believe ETO and MTO for the most part, but who knows? Lot of guys transferred late war. I'll send you one if you need it, real period felt on the house.

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
It was used in the ETO. Use tan or green backed wings if you are using bullion or cloth.

Never heard of that, got any pics? The blue felt was authorized for combat aircrew only and was to be stitched to the uniform to prevent wanabees from faking it. Bullion was done on green for the service jacket and Ikes, tan for the shirts, etc. and blue once authorized late in the war.

TankBuster

Blue backed cloth and bullion were commonly used in the ETO, but not in the CBI. I think we are on the same page. Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Cloth wings on a tan backing as well as OD backed bullion wings were more common in the CBI, but were also used in the ETO.

Hopefully that makes sense.