• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black-Tag E-Series

Atticus

Hi Folks,

In the past I have seen questions posed here as to when the first E-series G-1s were produced and whether there were ever black-tag, E-series G-1s. Of course, the answer is that 1971 saw the first of the E-series G-1s and E-Series Brills had black tags in 1971 while E-Series Stars had black tags in 1972.

This jacket sold on E-bay yesterday. I kept my mouth shut until after the auction because I thought that someone here may have been interested. It is an E-series Brill, so it went kinda cheap. But, IMHO, this is an interesting and perhaps collectable G-1 for several reasons. First, it is from the very earliest of the E-Series G-1s---the '71s. In fact, the other contractor, Star, was still producing their D-Series jackets in 1971. Second, it is a black tag E-series jacket, and third, it is a fairly rare size 48.

7b06_12.jpg

AF

Jason

Well spotted... and thanks for the bits of information there too, I didn't know Star still had a black label E in '72.

A quick question for you: which of the manufacturers were making G-1s in 1971?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I read somewhere that these were put out by Brill Bros in the 1990's, always with the black label, and with the same date ... kinda like the Alpha replica series.

Now, I can't remember the source, so maybe not much help ..... :)

Atticus

David, I heard that, too. But I think that the '90s "repro" jackets (if they actually existed) had tags that looked like this:

Dscn0190.jpg

The jacket that sold yesterday was an older G-1. Here's a photo of it.

7d29_12.jpg

Jason, I'm no expert, but I think only Brill and Star made G-1s in 1971. If another member here knows different, I'll happily stand corrected.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
David, I heard that, too. But I think that the '90s "repro" jackets (if they actually existed) had tags that looked like this:

Dscn0190.jpg

Aha! That looks like it.

I remember researching, after being offered one that looked too new.