• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK Custom AN-J-3

A

Anonymous

Glad to read that jacket fits well and Matt likes it.
Just wanted to say that at BK we designed this woven label especially for Matt's jacket.
It's a copy of an actual vintage RW label. Matt didn't want a rayon lining so we used a very nice special kind 'cotton silesia' lining that is very comfortable and sweet to the touch. I believe Matt can attest how good it feels and how excellent its color combines with the hide and knits colors. The thread is the dark olive and compliments the jacket much better that the regular olive would. The thread was Matt's choice. Glad it worked out.

I'm not sure about the role of the zig zag stitching as it was also present on my old USN AN-J-3 (now with Ken) along with the button tab (and the epaulettes that the Doniger lacks).

The under collar stitching has nothing to do with the moutons on Navy jackets. I have ripped at least a dozen of them to find out.
The epaulets are also RW style. Matt wanted them, but they are optional.

Silver Surfer

so, as a "invented" jac, it seems to satisfy a lot of wishes and wants. interesting. as we all know, originals have their draw backs, ie: a little narrow, a little short, no arm extension, etc. this jac looks and by description "works". in this corner, we have the challenger [to the sounds of cheers and applause], bk. the next heavy weight champion of the woirld, introducing bk....more cheering and applause.

Skip

I seem to only fit original navy jackets, original a2's are too short for this lanky frame, so it forces one to repros with modificatications. Wonder what they would have given me if I turned up for duty at uncle SAMs AAF recruitment office :shock:

Dr H

A large searchlight or an aerial with a request to stand at the end of the runway and hold it high...

;)

OTOH! You might have been lucky and have been given a Doniger A-2 (which is slightly longer in the front of the torso), but only 5000 to go around so not great odds.

Skip

Dr H said:
A large searchlight or an aerial with a request to stand at the end of the runway and hold it high...

;)

OTOH! You might have been lucky and have been given a Doniger A-2 (which is slightly longer in the front of the torso), but only 5000 to go around so not great odds.
:shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: second thoughts maybe i'll stick with the navy...

Earloffunk

Beautiful jacket!!!

I need to get one like this - I have been waiting for a good ANJ3 way too long.

Could you please post the measurements on the shoulder and pit-to-pit? ... trying to get some idea for the right size as I am stuck between 40 and 42... ;-)

Cheers

Christoph

Dr H

Christoph
BK ask for your measurements and tailor to you. You don't need to specify a particular size.
With the gussets, an AN-J-3 is pretty forgiving so you'll probably be closer to the 40 than the 42.
Good luck
Ian

Skip

Earloffunk said:
Beautiful jacket!!!

I need to get one like this - I have been waiting for a good ANJ3 way too long.

Could you please post the measurements on the shoulder and pit-to-pit? ... trying to get some idea for the right size as I am stuck between 40 and 42... ;-)

Cheers

Christoph

Dr H said:
Christoph
BK ask for your measurements and tailor to you. You don't need to specify a particular size.
With the gussets, an AN-J-3 is pretty forgiving so you'll probably be closer to the 40 than the 42.
Good luck
Ian

As Ian said reckon a 40 would be ok, work with BK and they'll tailor it. I'm, 6' 2", 39' chest, the pit to pit 21.5, and shoulders 19.5 to give you an idea and the jacket is modified off a 40' pattern. I measured of an original m422 that fits me well, and gave them the measurements, so if you have a jacket with a bi-swing back use that. This pattern fits differently and measures differently to an A-2.

Lebensgefahr

Further to Matts post, I have just received my BK ANJ3. I ordered it after seeing the pictures Platon posted on here a while ago.
I have to say that I`m extremely pleased with it. The hide is just as I asked for and the workmanship is exceptional. The fit is just right and the custom length sleeves are perfect. Unlike other people I am always nervous when I order a new jacket because I have been disappointed in the past with other manufacturers due to poor fit, poor quality leather etc and so when I opened the box it was with some trepidation but I needn`t have worried, everything was fine and the jacket made to a very high standard. I would thoroughly recommend this jacket to anyone. When I order an A2 later in the year I will certainly get it from BK.
I have posted a couple of pictures below. I have put it on a tailors dummy to save you having to see my ugly mug.

LG

Skip

Nice One LG, you'll love it even more after a few months of wear. I don't batter this one as much as my A2's and it's still looking almost as worn.

What BK A-2 you thinking of wearing?

Lebensgefahr

Hello Skip

I had to wait a fair while due to delays with the tannery but it was well worth the wait. I really like jackets with the bi-swing back, I personally think they are far more comfortable. If only it were possible to bottle that new leather smell.
I`m thinking of getting a Dubow 27798 in seal brown.

LG

Beautiful jacket! The ANJ3 is my favorite jacket!

Here's a few pics of my original,

IMG_1258-M.jpg

IMG_1259-M.jpg

IMAG0550-L.jpg

Lebensgefahr

I had an original exactly the same as that many years ago, I particularly like the A2 style wind flap, I wonder if that is something that BK could do ?

LG