• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso goes on sale

Brettafett

So, the current ripples and waves of the repro flight jacket industry have created another interesting development... Bill Kelso has slashed prices across the board. Approx 10% off all jackets. Nice! Go grab a Kelso!

Smithy

Be interesting to see if this is specifically related to BK and their sales or if this is a sign of something across the wider market Brett.

Greg Gale

Really tempted to try a 27752, perhaps a 40L? The ELC 42 was a tad baggy, but the lengths were fine - then again, the sizing/ fit is such a gamble, isn't it? How long is their waiting time?

Brettafett

Really tempted to try a 27752, perhaps a 40L? The ELC 42 was a tad baggy, but the lengths were fine - then again, the sizing/ fit is such a gamble, isn't it? How long is their waiting time?
Greg, I don't think its that long, a few weeks...? I think it depends on what you go for. There seems to be stock of leather and bits at the mo, but that can change, especially now with this price drop!
And to think, up an till a few days ago, I was feeling quite comfortable with no immediate plans to buy another A-2 for a few months... Darn it.
BK's RW 27752 appears to be slightly different from ELC's version, and judging by the measurements Andy gives, certainly seems a bit trimmer.

Last edited:

Skip

Greg, unless someone here has and offers them just email Andy through the website contact page has the details

He’s usually pretty quick

Brettafett

I received these a while back Greg. Please double check with Andy.

Star 18245 size 40
------------------
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.5
sleeve 24.5

Dubow 1755 size 40
------------------
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

Dubow 1755 size 42
------------------
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18
back 24.5
sleeve 25.75

Rough Wear 27752 size 40
------------------------
pit to pit 21
shoulders 17.5
back 24.75
sleeve 24.75

Roughwear 27752 size 42
-----------------------
pit to pit 22
shoulders 18
back 25
sleeve 25

Werber 1402-P size 42
---------------------
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 17.5
back 25.25
sleeve 25.75

Skip

Wow Brett, that’s quite a list

My Werber’s 21 1/5 at the pits but that was 5 years ago and I’ve always opted for specific measurements. They may have updated the pattern since I ordered one

Skip

Just realised you listed the Werb as a 42, mines a 40. Interesting that ELC pits for their size 40 was from memory around the 22-23’.

Greg Gale

The 40 doesn't only look short, but too snug as well. The 42 might be the one. I've just sent a mail to Andy.

Brettafett

Matt, I think the above measurements are std, based on the originals they have worked with. I'm sure they will tweak slightly as necessary.
Andy seems very confident they can get the fit nailed... Based on our correspondence, I am tempted to say he knows what he is talking about.
But fit is subjective.
A lot also depends on the leather, how thick, how pliable etc... I've learnt its still tricky basing a new jacket on a current 'wearer'. If the leather on the new jacket is a touch thicker or a touch stiffer for example, the new jacket, even at exactly the same measurements can feel a bit tighter/ restrictive... Then add a small detail, like slightly smaller arm holes or something... and you have an uncomfortable jacket.
This is a general statement and not directed at any particular maker, just saying...

Brettafett

Greg, if I were to try another 27752 it'd be a Kelso. They seem very proud of their version... Lets us know what you find out.

Brettafett

I know. Funny though, my samples look and feel great and I did a little chaffing and rubbing and they look even better.
Possibly a minuscule bit thicker than my ELC samples, but again... these are just samples...
I have never handled a BK jacket. Have seen a couple of their civilian jackets at American Classics, but thats all. I would like to get one of these in hand and see for my self.
What was that you were saying... must.resist.temptation.

Greg Gale

Yeah...I'm trying to think about it with a cool head. You remember I tried an ELC 27752 in size 42, and established that my 40 Star fits better. Would it be worth losing all this money to see if maybe BK's version is better somehow? Why would it be better? It can just as well turn out to fit worse than the ELC. Plus the risky quality...

Brettafett

Its a tough call... "what if..." The great thing about that ELC pop-up was not only meeting the chaps, but being able to try these jackets on. Thats the ONLY way to know for sure.
Your Star fit you better than the 27752 100% for sure, and we tried them on side by side. No doubt.
But this is another jacket, from a different maker, who has also meticulously copied the pattern and details, and translated this in their own way. Tricky.
If I was guaranteed that if I ordered a regular size jacket, and for whatever reason did not like it, I could return it, no quibble 100% refund, then I would be less daunted.
Chances are, one does like it, but maybe prefer an inch added or taken away (Jeremiah ;) ) to sleeves for example... but then one knows exactly what one is going to get for sure.

D97x7

Here's a few liberty pics from my 3 or 4 year old Dubow to tempt you guys, I really like the hide.
No I'm not a shill :)
P_20180807_114216.jpg
P_20180807_114225.jpg
P_20180807_114258.jpg
P_20180807_114305.jpg
P_20180807_114500.jpg
P_20180807_114410.jpg
P_20180807_114507.jpg
P_20180807_114433.jpg
P_20180807_114543.jpg