• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso Capeskin

bn1966

I’ve got an ELC A-1 in Capeskin. It’s light and drapes nicely, some criticism levelled is that Capes very fragile..I’ve not found this to be the case but the ELC hide does mark / stain very easily & any stains are difficult to get out….as long as you just accept it as part of the jackets character it’s fine. Wear mine in the warmer months….

Skyhawk

Eastman and Aero started out using common Sheep Skin instead of Capeskin. Since the modern day definition of Capeskin includes, Cape, Sheep, and Kid Skin, I guess they were not technically lying. I am not sure what they are using now. Common sheepskin is a lot more durable than Capeskin.

Bill Kelso claims to have the "Only real Capeskin available on the planet, and no one else is using it". Lol

Modern real genuine chrome tanned Capeskin will be more durable then the original 1930's hides. Modern chrome tanning is different and provides a stronger end result.

Cape is durable enough. Just don't catch it on a nail or sharp object because it rips more easily than any other type of hide I have seen. It's cool stuff. Super soft and light but thick. The real stuff anyway.

geedee

Eastman and Aero started out using common Sheep Skin instead of Capeskin. Since the modern day definition of Capeskin includes, Cape, Sheep, and Kid Skin, I guess they were not technically lying. I am not sure what they are using now. Common sheepskin is a lot more durable than Capeskin.

Bill Kelso claims to have the "Only real Capeskin available on the planet, and no one else is using it". Lol

Modern real genuine chrome tanned Capeskin will be more durable then the original 1930's hides. Modern chrome tanning is different and provides a stronger end result.

Cape is durable enough. Just don't catch it on a nail or sharp object because it rips more easily than any other type of hide I have seen. It's cool stuff. Super soft and light but thick. The real stuff anyway.
Thanks for that sir!

Skyhawk

This is true. I had a customer that walked in to the RAF museum where that jacket now resides. The curator saw him wearing a Headwind A-1 and said "We have one of those!" He invited him into the back to view the original. He laid it out on a table and allowed him to lay the Headwind next to it. They thought it looked spot on.
True story

Grant

It's a pretty easy pattern. The original measurements were published. The details are well documented in hi res photos. If you do a lot of research, you can make a very close reproducti

Thanks for the sales pitch, but if I was in the market for an A-1, I'd go with an Eastman.