• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bi-swing back, leather collar

SteveN

Gentleman,

Was there ever a military jacket with a bi-swing back, leather collar, and (preferably) a Navy type wind flap? If not, what's the closest specification?

Cheers,
- SteveN

watchmanjimg

Some variants of the ANJ-3 are configured as you describe, although I've never been sure if they were actually issued. There was a picture of one on the old forum, but I don't remember which style wind flap it had.

bfrench

Administrator
SteveN said:
Gentleman,

Was there ever a military jacket with a bi-swing back, leather collar, and (preferably) a Navy type wind flap? If not, what's the closest specification?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Hi, Steve,

Check out the review I did on the Gibson and Barnes AN-J-3 russet horsehide jacket I had them make last year.

This jacket would be absoutely great in their latest batch of russet goatskin that they use in the historic A-2.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64

Bill French

watchmanjimg said:
Some variants of the ANJ-3 are configured as you describe, although I've never been sure if they were actually issued. There was a picture of one on the old forum, but I don't remember which style wind flap it had.

I just reposted my post from the old forum on the original ANJ-3 I found...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=380

zoomer

That's a great find Bill. The originals are superrare - probably always were.

The AN-J-3 lacks only the inner flap to meet Steve's criteria.
I suppose he could get a G-1 custom made without collar fur.

SteveN

zoomer said:

So is the original AN-J-3 with an external wind flap? Bill French's has an internal one. Bill, was that a custom item you had G&B do?

Cheers,
- SteveN

zoomer

SteveN said:
zoomer said:
So is the original AN-J-3 with an external wind flap?
External flap and epaulets like A-2. Collar like A-2 but without snaps or latches.
Beltback, gussets, pockets, and biweave knit like Navy jackets.
It really is a handsome design, and practical too.

FlightSuits AN-J-3 is a very nice repro for the money. My dad owns one (I got it for him), so does Bill French.
(FS claims some AAF jackets had inner flaps, but I never trust a manufacturer whose initials aren't G.W.)

tamoko

This my mint original modern sz44/46
01.jpg

http://www.nets2dio.com//Jackets/ANJ3/ANJ3.pdf

bfrench

Administrator
SteveN said:
zoomer said:

So is the original AN-J-3 with an external wind flap? Bill French's has an internal one. Bill, was that a custom item you had G&B do?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Hi, Steve,

My understanding is that they made both versions as AN-J-3 - that's why I opted for the so called navy version.

Maybe John Chapman could jump in here with a litle more data.

Bill French

Andrew

kevinblack said:
http://www.workscene.com.au/workwear/leather-jackets/raaf-jacket.html

This is the current Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) flight crew issue jacket. Issued on a very (ie. very) limited basis.

Sells for AUD$395. I was thinking of buying one, but got the G&B Civil A2 in Goat. Happy with my choice.

Cheers,
Kevin

Why do they do it? :shock: It's worlds apart from G+B's and galaxies apart from the real thing. Just icky.

kevinblack

Andrew,

They do it because the people that do the contract/purchasing (probably DMO) have no care in the world regarding the style/ickiness of the jacket. They issue a Request for Tender based on a spec and usually (but not always) the lowest price wins. There is or was a standing committee (MURC Military Uniform Review Committee) that looked at all military clothing. Boy there have been some beauties....... In the 80s the female Army uniform was redesigned and reissued. It was IMHO hideous, a nasty mix of striped shirts and sickly green all in the best plastic fabrics available.

Lately all three services have a sort of battle dress replacement, a kind of short jacket with matching service trousers. If it were me, I'd have issued something like a CWU-45P in the respective service colours. Warm, comfortable, looks good and cheap. At the sort of quantities the Government buys you could issue A-2s like the USAF are now doing (G&B IIRC). There's a USAF exchange officer where I work that wears his with his day uniform, looks great.....

Kevin