• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Reproduction G-1

Maverickson

I am in the market for a G-1 Flight Jacket. It is going to be a memorial to my late fathers naval aviation career. I had planned on doing some nose art on the back of the proposed jacket. The nose art I am considering will be at a considerable expense. A good original would be fine but, the largest sized original military issue seems to be a just adequate size 46. This size for a jacket is just adequate for me and am considering a size 48. This will force me to find a new reproduction jacket. The repro jackets I am currently considering are made by U.S. Authentic Mfg. Co., Gibson and Barnes or Lost Worlds. Of the three decent jackets available which would you pick? Any other ideas out there!

T-Bolt

In a G-1 jacket, of the brands you mentioned........I would go with the Lost Worlds. I have heard a number of people talk favorably of their Navy jacket. :cool:

Ted

I only have direct experience with one of the three, but from what I have heard its best to avoid the US Authentic. I'm sure that the Lost Worlds jacket is a great one, but for the price differential I'd go with G&B. They have a very reasonably priced G-1 that is well made from very good materials. You'll want to watch the sizing on G&B though, If you would wear a 48 in other jackets, you'll probably want a 46 since G&B runs large.

kevlarg

Why not an original? They are pretty easy to find on ebay. Any particular era you are looking for?

kevlarg

airfrogusmc said:
Origianls are not to common in a size 48.

Sorry somehow I missed that in his original post. I guess most military planes require smaller sized people.

hacker

Call G&B and they'll fix you up right out of the gate......or....you can wait for J.C........could be a while!

Maverickson

kevlarg said:
Why not an original? They are pretty easy to find on ebay. Any particular era you are looking for?

As mentioned, I have not seen a mil spec size 48 G-1 that had larger measurements than a size 46.

airfrogusmc

Maverickson said:
kevlarg said:

As mentioned, I have not seen a mil spec size 48 G-1 that had larger measurements than a size 46.

I have an original Irvin Foster 7823C thats a HUGE 48 and Robman has a G&F 422a thats a 48.

Maverickson

airfrogusmc said:
Maverickson said:
kevlarg said:

I have an original Irvin Foster 7823C thats a HUGE 48 and Robman has a G&F 422a thats a 48.

That sounds interesting airfrogusmc and worth considering so please contact me :cool: [email protected] if you are really interested in parting with one of those jackets.

airfrogusmc

No these are not for sale. I have had a size 48 in both a D model Star and Martin Lane. Sold both of those as they were a bit snug. Funny the D models from some makers anyway these two were very short and trim where as the C model IF is very full. The Irvin Foster C sleeves are very full at the top and full though the torso where both of the D models were very trim.

airfrogusmc

Maverickson said:
Maverickson said:
kevlarg said:

That sounds interesting airfrogusmc and worth considering so please contact me :cool: [email protected] if you are really interested in parting with one of those jackets.

Dave here are a couple photos
IMG_7603.jpg

IMG_7604.jpg

Maverickson

Hi,
These photos have just about convinced me to wait and look for an original G-1. I appreciate you posting your jacket!

airfrogusmc

Dave,

I've found a few over the years. Really large can be a problem because they are rare but I found 3 on ebay but you will pay and will probably have to get some work done like knits maybe zipper. This IFC is REALLY big 27 pit to pit. My D models were both 25 pit to pit. I would recommend getting a D or earlier in goat or maybe a later one, I think Wing Nut has an E model in goat that he had mouton put on the replace the faux fur. Allot of E models are cow which is still very nice but I prefer goat.

Theres NOTHING like an original.

I have both the LW G-1 and an original in 48. The original is perfect in the sleeves but is a little snug. The label is missing but has a nice olive green color inside with some wear on the back but the add a little Pecards and it was looking new off the rack. The mouton is a golden reddish color. The knitts wear replaced by G&B or USA. Got it off of e-bay about 8 mos ago. You will have to patient for those 48's to pop up though. The LW is just amazing. I picked mine up from a member on here. It is a roomy 48 but has all the same wonderfull attributes has the originals.