• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Look for the End of the Sleeve for the A-2

Striker

I think the end of the sleeves look best when they taper nicely towards the wrist.

When a jacket's end of sleeve is too large, it gives a more baggy and bulky look at the end of the sleeve, and combine that with too much tunneling, I think it doesn't look good.

Does anyone wear an original or repro size 40 jacket that has properly sized end of sleeves? I would be interested to know what the end of the sleeve measures across when it is laying flat, stretched out so that the knit cuf is not compressing it.

Thanks,

Striker
PS: I know that Aero A-2's have a differnet end of sleeve/cuff look because they do not use the double weave knit cuff like the originals do. Does Areo also have a wider end of sleeve measurement or is their end of sleeve measurement correct compared to originals?

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Striker,

Although it's not an original, I have a goatskin historic Gibson and Barnes which has a trim forearm and wrist.

The jacket arm laid flat is 5 3/4" about mid- forearm and 5 1/4" at the wrist where the wool knit meets the leather.

I can only pull the sleeve up my arm so that the end of the wool is about 1'2" above the knobby bone on the outer part of the wrist. Not even the width of the tip of my index finger.

Now that's a size 46 jacket and I have an 8 1/2" wrist circumference - every watch i buy has to have links added to a standard band.

You don't want to make the mistake of having the wrist too thin - when I put the leather in line with the wrist bone, I have a bout 3'4" to 1" laid flat when pulled tight - thast should allow enough slack for the sleeve end to move up to the middle of the forearm.

So every size and body style is going to be a different width - just measure the circumference of the mid forearm and find the diameter - that should give a good wrist size.

Sleevediameter.jpg

Bill French

zoomer

I think the end of the sleeve looks best with a knit cuff. :D
Preferably one that has not shriveled up into a "donut."

bfrench

Administrator
zoomer said:
I think the end of the sleeve looks best with a knit cuff. :D
Preferably one that has not shriveled up into a "donut."

Hi, Zoomer,

I agree but look at my jacket with the sleeve down and tunneled - if it we made with the full wool wristlet just straight , I'd never be able to move my arms forward.

So the nest solution would be a larger wrist size leading to the dreaded baggy arms.

FSA-2.jpg

Bill French

Vcruiser

Here's an old pic of my Aero 42-15142-P Size 40..25" sleeve...repro "RealDeal". Perhaps you can see the sleeve taper. The sleeve has little tunneling..as I prefer.

46932.jpg

Here is a pic of my only original A-2...size 42...Sleeve length 24"...an Aero..that I believe to be a 42-18775-P. The sleeve taper at cuff is somewhat wider. Perhaps a feature of this contract??

100_0363.jpg

Van

Vcruiser

Stricker
A quick measurement of the sleeve flattened out(right at top of knit) was aprox 5" on my 42-15142-P Aero RealDeal repro. On the original 42-18775-P Aero it is aprox 5 1/2".

Thanks Allen!
I think the Aero RealDeal is a good deal.
The original I wear sparingly. It still has the original lining in good shape..but a few fragile areas.
Van

Striker

Bill and Van,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the end of sleeve measurements for me.

Van,

I am curious, since the repro has a 5" and the original has a 5.5", is the original cut with a wider sleeve altogether? I would be very interested, when you have time, to know the armhole measurement of the repro and the original (jacket laying flat, measured straight across armhole).

Also, do you think the 5.5" looks perfectly fine, or do you prefer the look of the 5" better?

Thanks,

Striker

Vcruiser

Striker said:
Bill and Van,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the end of sleeve measurements for me.

Van,

I am curious, since the repro has a 5" and the original has a 5.5", is the original cut with a wider sleeve altogether? I would be very interested, when you have time, to know the armhole measurement of the repro and the original (jacket laying flat, measured straight across armhole).

Also, do you think the 5.5" looks perfectly fine, or do you prefer the look of the 5" better?

Thanks,

Striker

Hi Stricker
Can't find my tape measure...so I'm measuring with a ruler..directly from top seam(behind epaulette) across armhole to bottom...layed flat. Both measure aprox 9 1/2".
At the elbow both measure around 7". From there the original tapers to 5 1/2" ....and the repro 5". I am still thinking that the original Aero 42-18775-P just has more of a taper than an original Aero 42-15147-P....going by other pics of originals. Otherwise some originals that look to be Aeros in actual WW2 photos..and museums that I've visited seem to have a more taper sleeve than others that appear to be Aeros. However..the repros may tend to have a bit more taper.
Original Dubows and others are known to have a less tapered sleeve. LostWorlds Dubow replicates this trait...but maybe with a little exaggeration the other way. For me....I like less of a boxy appearance..so tapering to 5" suits me best.
I'm no expert..so maybe someone else will chime in here...
Van